Where can I purchase Degu's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

Please don't buy from a pet store! The animals there come from the rodent version of puppy mills and the breeding animals really suffer...I have seen videos and it's not pretty. http://www.brecklagh.com/petshops.html (the photos here are from one of the "better" breeders by the way). This one has more graphic photos: http://pawofjustice.org/index.php?cat=11 The degus at my local pet shops are kept 5 or 6 to a fifteen gallon tank with a couple of cardboard tubes.

I'm not a degu expert but if you google "degus" you might find a few good sites that might list ethical breeders/rescues. Check out petfinder too!
In my area Degus aren't even sold in pet stores. I have tried Googleing breeders and petfinder too, with no luck. It seems like you only posted to preach to me about pet stores
If you read my initial post you would see that I have googled breeders and been to Petfinder.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Degu_2009

In my area Degus aren't even sold in pet stores. I have tried Googleing breeders and petfinder too, with no luck. It seems like you only posted to preach to me about pet stores
If you read my initial post you would see that I have googled breeders and been to Petfinder.
If no one near you ever has them , it is a safe bet vets near you don't know them either, and this is bad.
We all have animals we want, but think of the reality of it.
Please, these are animals not whims.
I would love a priarie dog, but could never have one.
I want a hedgehog, but no.
I love all things reptile, but, again, no.
Please, think into the future of the animal.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My post wasn't directed to you exactly-it was to the people who had suggested pet stores. And no offense, but pet stores are major sources of animal cruelty and if the opportunity comes I will discuss it. My friends runs a bird rescue and I have seen first hand the kind of cruelty that goes on inside these places. I also almost got a degu a few months ago (he was adopted though).

I agree with Trillcat. Degus are small, fragile animals and if there's no vet it might not go well.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

If no one near you ever has them , it is a safe bet vets near you don't know them either, and this is bad.
We all have animals we want, but think of the reality of it.
Please, these are animals not whims.
I would love a priarie dog, but could never have one.
I want a hedgehog, but no.
I love all things reptile, but, again, no.
Please, think into the future of the animal.
I am sure an exotic vet (which we have here) would be familiar with a Degu. A Degu is a pet, nothing like a prairie dog. If people can own ferrets or chinchillas, they can own a Degu. They are not THAT exotic. I would never get a Degu without first finding out if a vet can take care of them. I'm also not going to go out tomorrow and buy one. I purchased a book online recently to learn more about the animal, I'm not dumb.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am sure an exotic vet (which we have here) would be familiar with a Degu. A Degu is a pet, nothing like a prairie dog. If people can own ferrets or chinchillas, they can own a Degu. They are not THAT exotic. I would never get a Degu without first finding out if a vet can take care of them. I'm also not going to go out tomorrow and buy one. I purchased a book online recently to learn more about the animal, I'm not dumb.
I am glad you are learning, and I did not mean in any way to call you dumb.
My post was intended to say that sometimes we get focused on getting an animal, one we may or may not be able to properly keep. You are doing the research, and that is good. But...
You say you are sure that your exotic vet can treat a degu, have you called them to make sure?

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I am glad you are learning, and I did not mean in any way to call you dumb.
My post was intended to say that sometimes we get focused on getting an animal, one we may or may not be able to properly keep. You are doing the research, and that is good. But...
You say you are sure that your exotic vet can treat a degu, have you called them to make sure?
I am interested in this animal, it doesn't mean I'm going to run out and get one. Pets are a big responsibility and I want to be 100% informed on them and know how to care for them, ect...If I am able to get Degus it won't be for a while, I would never purchase a Degus without first knowing if an exotic vet around here treats them. I haven't called a vet to ask yet, but that's only because I'm not getting one any time soon.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering - maybe if you find a vet(s) who treat degus, the vet can point you in the direction of good breeders or a rescue group or something?

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I was wondering - maybe if you find a vet(s) who treat degus, the vet can point you in the direction of good breeders or a rescue group or something?
True! I never thought of that. I'll have to call up some Vets.