When you see a "purebred" dog do you say something???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zao_cat

You would be surprised at how many purebreds show up in a shelter.
I would not my papered yorkie was gotten at a shelter...

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

My cousin was told this dog was a purebred longhaired chihuahua when she got him as a puppy.

Um, no.
Goodness! Clipped corgi cross, anyone?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We once found a small dog in our back yard that was out in a storm. We bathed her, dried her, and called our vet with her tag number... All the while I was thinking that she was an IG/jack russel, or similar mix. When the relieved owners arrived the next day they said she was a purebred jackrussel... NO WAY was this dog a JRT. WAAAY too calm and had limbs/neck that were too racey looking.

There are a LOT of bybs in my area and hardly any really good breeders, so people mostly go to the bybs. I've also seen many "chihuahuas" that looked like IG/chihuahua mixes in this area.

I think that most people that go to bybs don't really have much experience with the breed they get and do not do much research before hand.
Art

areias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definately! I've worked in boarding kennels and vets offices. The best two I can think of was an "Irish Water Spaniel" which was definately a chocolate lab/poodle. And a Border Collie who I swear up and down was a black and white sheltie (it was only like 15 lbs). Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking, if they just continue to lie to themselves until it becomes true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Areias

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking, if they just continue to lie to themselves until it becomes true.
Yeah I think your right on that one!!!! Muts are great dogs but don't give purebred dogs a bad name!!!! I've met a few people who claimed to have "purebred" labs, but they were nasty/aggressive dogs who were built much more like pits......

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like to show them pictures of what the 'real breed' looks like...Lol!! I also like to 'remind them' that only actual Kennel Clubs are your assurance of a purebred dog; the papers that lady has on that "Chihuahua" are not what I would consider valid; I only consider a dog purebred if a person can show me papers from a real registry like AKC, CKC etc. The 'pet registry' is just that...anything can be registered, and people can 'claim' it is purebred, but it probably isn't...which is why it isn't registered with AKC in the first place...DUH!!!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Areias

Definately! I've worked in boarding kennels and vets offices. The best two I can think of was an "Irish Water Spaniel" which was definately a chocolate lab/poodle. And a Border Collie who I swear up and down was a black and white sheltie (it was only like 15 lbs). Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking, if they just continue to lie to themselves until it becomes true.
There is a breed called the Irish Water Spaniel...they have a build similar to a 'lab' (but not so stocky, and have a much more refined face, and bigger drop ears), and the coat is chocolate colored, and has a dense coat full of tightish curls, much like a poodle who went through the wash but didn't get dried with a proper dryer right away!

http://www.akc.org/breeds/irish_water_spaniel/index.cfm