When You Read ...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Vampire novels
- I read all of Anne Rice's "The Vampire Chronicals" and really enjoyed them
Hm, too many of those to really list off the top of my head, that really seems to be the in thing lately. I don't know if you've seen it, but Blood Ties - based on Tanya Huff's series is on LifeTime... they've messed it up sooo badly
She's not an amazing author, but she is entertaining, she also writes fantasy.
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

If any one is intersted in meeding Cherryh in person she shows up at the Missoula Miscon over Memorial Day weekend every year. :p

Goodkind bothers me... by the time I got to his last few books I thought his writing style went completely downhill.

You know, there's one big name author that I'm really surprised hasn't been mentioned on here... Mercedes Lackey. Some of her stuff is really good too.
Supposedly, according to her bio, Cherryh lives in Oklahoma?
sometimes her books drag a little, never could get into The Dreaming Tree. Goodkind has started to drag, he's trying to hard to keep the story going.
I never could get into Lackey.
I've always liked a lot of her books coverart though.
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

I really liked Belgarath the Sorcerer, but I didn't care much for the series connected to it. It seemed like the writing was really childish... then again, perhaps I should try again? I haven't seen anything of his other than that series.
I think his writing is a bit better in later series, and his jokes are certainly not for younger age groups.
... one scene of a book will always stick with me, a part where it talks about chopping a person in half and the upper half hanging from the battlements... only it was a bit more descriptive.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW - I love Lackey - her series with the dragons (Joust, Alta and Aeyrie) is very different then a lot of dragon books. I own almost everything she has written. I have already preodered the next book in the Outstretched Shadow series. Has anyone read anything form her 500 Kingdom series? Based (tongue in cheek) on fairy tales.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I think his writing is a bit better in later series, and his jokes are certainly not for younger age groups.
... one scene of a book will always stick with me, a part were it talks about chopping a person in half and the upper half hanging from the battlements... only it was a bit more descriptive.
i liked the joke in the first book where two people are fight on top of a tower,
the one winner walk back over, to belgrath,

silk i just say, joe
belgarath what was he doing
silk trying to learn to fly
belgarath well he does not have long to learn.
crash,, pause, crash
silk does bouncing count.
belagrath, no not really

lol i was teen back then and i can still remember lots of the first 3 book,
hmm that could be sad.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone read any Brad Meltzer? I picked up "The Book Of Fate" in desperation the other night (it was late, I had nothing to read, WalMart was the only place open, and everything else had a half-dressed heroine with a heaving bosom on the cover), and it's just excellent! Really enjoying it...

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Golly, never! That ... that would be cheating!

No, I don't. However, my mom does it all the time even with books written in the first person. (Dick Francis is one of her favorites.) I try to tell her its highly unlikely for the narrator to die, but she doesn't buy it!