When you hear the name Feral Cat.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't it interesting the labels this cats automatically assume in our heads? Honestly though, I haven't met very many true feral cats in my lifetime- I have met four. Two were socialized over time, the other two were unfortunately to aggressive to be able to work with and were humanely put to sleep. I've only had two strays who were "diseased" Captain Midnight had FeLV and Blackie had feline distemper which unfortunately passed to the kittens she was carrying. Sure they have fleas and worms, but those are preventable and curable unless it is just day old kittens because they can easily die from those parasites.

but they are just so misunderstood and why they are outside, is Man's fault not theirs. All we have to do is SPAY & NEUTER- it's so easy a fix- wouldn't it be nice if the bad stuff in this world was so easy to fix? One surgery, two days recovery and these cats wouldn't be breeding and my job as rescuer wouldn't be needed. Oh for that world- something, I fear I will never see in my lifetime.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me the first thing that popped into my head was sad. Because it makes me sad there are cats left to fend for themselves outside.

I asked Gary, and his reponse was similar - he said "heart ache." That's because he worries endlessly about the kitties outside, especially those in our little colony.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

For me the first thing that popped into my head was sad. Because it makes me sad there are cats left to fend for themselves outside.

I asked Gary, and his reponse was similar - he said "heart ache." That's because he worries endlessly about the kitties outside, especially those in our little colony.
That really made me think, definetely sad, because it is so sad that they are outdoors and have to fend for themselves, I'm so glad that there are more people like ourselves that help these kitties. x

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A scaredy cat that will run & hide from people rather than come near for any reason.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

A scaredy cat that will run & hide from people rather than come near for any reason.
And that perfectly describes my Scaredy (yeah, that's really her name) when we found her. Two years later, she loves me, likes my daughter, tolerates my husband & youngest son, and despises my eldest son (for no apparent reason).

Oh, and she's about two hundred pounds heavier than when I first found her outside!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scared *(itless.

I am taking care of a (originally called) feral cat colony, numbering around eight to ten cats. Based on their behavior and my re-education, I now try to refer to them as stray cat colony.
Because of the increasing negativity of the condo unit owners where I live, I decided to re-trap some of the cats and move them to a cattery, a room in a friend's house specifically for these cats. The goal is to resocialize/rehome them. They've been in the cattery for about a week. Two of the cats (Buckley and JD) had been members of the colony for several months; one (Charlie), I'd only seen once or twice before. I could pet briefly Buckley before he was trapped.
In the past week, Buckley and JD are now allowing us to pet them, and JD especially enjoys playing. They eat next to me. They come out from under the sofa pretty quickly. They were definitely someone's pet, i.e., NOT feral.
Charlie, on the other hand, has stayed behind the sofa. She moves away even when offered food in a long-handle spoon. She is I believe feral--and scared to death.

prittiegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FLAT... As in pressed flat to the ground.

My first socialization cat was named "Carpet" as she tried to press herself so close to the ground that she looked like she was becoming part of it.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

what is the FIRST thing that pops in your head?
My automatic thought was "poor babies", because that is how I pretty much feel about all the fur kids when working with them. I've had two completely feral.

One I got moved in the house and he has changed so drastically over time you wouldn't think he was the same cat.
He used to be very aggressive, waiting outside my door and attacking and chasing my cats till they were afraid to go in and out. Now he rarely leaves the house and sucks up all the love and pets he can get, and there is never any aggression on his part toward other cats.

The other is as scared of people today as he was as a kitten. He depends on the food I give, but is afraid of being touched, refuses to be brought in the house, but is so starved for affection, he hangs around wanting to love on the other cats when they are out.He knows his name and comes for dinner when called, but generally keeps his distance so as not to be touched.

I've only had one show up here that was so sick he needed to be put down., and I think he came here after being pushed out of another colony because he had an ear crop.

Right now I care for 16 indoor/outdoor, 2 that are strictly outdoors and one my mates mother took in. One of the strictly outdoor will probably move in with us this year. He is showing signs of taming down to where he won't have to spend his entire winter outside again.

Yep, Sad and Protective is what I feel when thinking of ferals.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Sybil.
As she was when I first saw her dashing accros my yard with one of her babies in her mouth.

The first thing that pops into my head is that dirty, skinny little black and white cat with HUGE eyes. She looked terrified, no matter what she was doing. She bolted if you got too close and I noticed she wouldn't eat anywhere that didn't have at least 3 different ways out...

Poor little mum...