when you cannot cut their nails

joang71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the two new cats I inherited from a friend are approx. 5 yrs old and it appears their nails have never been cut, or if so. many years ago.

when I had cats previously I started the process when they were young so it was never a problem.  With the new cats I know I will not be able to do this

unless I take them to the vet, and I can't afford that now. Is there an affordable scratching toy or pad that would help somewhat? There re so many out there. These cats are adapting ok(got the scratches to prove it) They came from a stressful situation so I can understand the adjustment taking time.

Any recommendations are appreciated regarding the nails. thanks. Joan

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they like sisal rope scratching posts, those are probably the toughest material and will help them shed the sheaths of their claws. Any kind of scratching pad, though, even just corrugated cardboard, will help if they like to use it. I find nail sheaths in my cat's cardboard scratching pad all the time.

Unless their nails are growing into their paws, going very slowly and getting them used to having their paws handled is probably much better than trying to force it. You're going to have to find a treat they really love, and when they trust you enough, just start by touching their paw gently and giving them a treat a couple times a day. When they don't flinch and run away anymore, you can hold their paw and treat, then hold their paw and extend the nail gently, then eventually clip one nail, treating each time. You may only be able to do a couple nails at a time, and that's fine. Some people find it's easiest when the cat is napping or sleepy, too. Best of luck!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything Molly92 said, plus, cats seem to find emory boards irresistible, and playing with these might just smooth the sharp edges of their nails out a little bit.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lucy doesn't like to have her nails trimmed.  I do them while she's sunning herself and dozing by the window.  At first, I could only do one nail.  Gradually, we worked up to an entire paw.  And finally both paws.  It takes time and patience.  I wish you the best of luck.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't bother trimming my cats' nails. They use the scratchies that are all over the house, and I think the only reason for trimming would be If they were growing into the pad. Otherwise, they're fine as is.