When you are reading a book...

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Nat...Life is too short to read bad books
This is my thinking too. I get most of my books from the library, so it isn't like I'm out any money if I don't finish something. I used to finish every book no matter what, but yeah, life is too short!

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the book. I keep hoping that the book will get better. However, there have been rare occasions, such as with MOBY DICK, that I give up without reading the whole thing.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

So true! Well the book I am reading is The Bourne Ultimatum..I really love the Bourne movies and I'm sure this book is supposed to be good...but I am lost and I just don't think its good AT ALL!
I am almost done though..thank goodness!
You're not the only one. My Mom couldn't finish them either. She said they were terrible. I've only watched the movies.

I don't finish bad/boring books. There are too many good books to read instead.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a compulsive book finisher too, I absolutely cannot not finish a book. My mom reads a lot of Fern Michaels books and give me them to read and I used to read them until I decided that I jsut can't stand her writing style... so know I just don't start them

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends how boring it is and how long it is! I do like to finish a book even if I'm not particularly enjoying it. On those occasions I know I'm never going to pick it up again and won't want to re-read what I've already got through, so tend to plod on until the end. But I wouldn't do that with a really long book that I hated. The only book I've given up on is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Despite enjoying other Dickens novels, I just can't get to grips with that one and have given up on it twice now and am not going to give it another try.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends on the book...I read Persuasion (Jane Austen) once...I was pretty bored, but I managed to finish it in a day...mainly because I wanted to get it over with! Surprisingly, I enjoyed some of her other works.

I think whether or not you enjoy a book has a lot to do with your age, how you are feeling, or what your life is like at the moment. Some books that I read when I was younger I didn't really enjoy until I was older. I also didn't read fantasy books until the last few years (strange, I only read horror and mystery novels as a kid!). So, I never really "toss" a book, I just put it only my shelf and pick it up when I'm ready.

-Kristen

p.s. I'm reading "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, right now. His work is really strange stuff. If you like Alice in Wonderland, Pan's Labyrinth, Mirrormask, or anything like that, you'd probably enjoy Gaiman's work. Very interesting, dark fantasy.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, am one who HAS to finish a book. The book I am currently reading I started over 2 years ago. But in my defense, many months went by where I didn't even pick it up. Because of an abundance of non-billable time at work, I have been reading it here and am close to being finished.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nimbus

p.s. I'm reading "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, right now. His work is really strange stuff. If you like Alice in Wonderland, Pan's Labyrinth, Mirrormask, or anything like that, you'd probably enjoy Gaiman's work. Very interesting, dark fantasy.
I love his stuff.
Have you read American Gods?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'll eventually finish the book, but will read 5-6 other books while I'm reading that one.

If I can't get into a book, I have a difficult time finishing it. But I will eventually, b/c I have to know what the outcome is. Sometimes the beginning of a book is boring, but has a good ending - and vice-versa. There have only been a few books that I tried to read that were just so boring I couldn't finish them..

I usually have 5 or 6 books that I'm reading
at one time, and alternate back and forth between them. It depends upon what kind of mood I'm in, and what I feel like reading.

~KK~