when will my kitten chill out?

afp89898

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten I adopted is around 8-9 months old and she is just a ball of energy for about 70% of the day, I think its hilarious but often times it can be frustrating when she wont let me do anything because she wants to play with me every 15 minutes or so. I know most cats seem to slow down, chill out and sleep more sometime when they are older but how much older until she will be more of an adult behaved cat?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it varies on each cat. You could always get her a buddy to take out some of the energy on. If she is the only cat, she only has you.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What sort of playing do you do with her.. she must really but a high energy girl.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can depend a bit on which breed. My supposedly laid back Ragdoll is still a terrorist a lot of the time at almost 2 years.

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well my boys are almost 10 months old and have slowed down significantly in the past couple of months. YES, they do get their "bursts" of energy throughout the day and night (like right now), but they have chilled out considerably. I'm sure it makes a big difference having two cats. However it is SO ANNOYING when one of their "bursts" comes when I'm ready to go to bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afp89898

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I wish I could get her a playmate but my parents wont allow it. She is a tortie if that makes a difference.

robertb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had 2 that chilled out a lot right at the one year mark, and a 3rd who blew right through it and never, ever slowed down. It just depends.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of suggestions that really do make a huge difference, talk to her when your home, whatever your doing, just include her. Of course giving her some serious play time is best as well. Another is do you have a kitty condo? This often gives a sense of personal space. Best thing is a window perch. Maia has a carpeted window perch with a ramp access, she adores it!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8-9 months old is the start of the "teenager" time. It varys from cat to cat, but you are probably looking at another year of a lot of energy. Is she spayed? If not, get her in now and that will help settle her down.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nine month old kitten is definitely in his teenage time. I remarked to my husband the other day that he must be 13 in people years because he's hit full tilt obnoxious. I have 3 other cats for him to play with and it does help some but I still spend the better part of my day tossing toy mice.

It may sound strange but enjoy your kitten's busyness while it lasts. Soon, she'll be more interested in other aspects of her surroundings and won't require as much time from you. Next thing you know you'll want to play and she'll be sleeping!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

8-9 months old is the start of the "teenager" time. It varys from cat to cat, but you are probably looking at another year of a lot of energy. Is she spayed? If not, get her in now and that will help settle her down.
yeh, i agree with the spaying. i got two of my girl's done, & now they are so lazy! well, they do still play, but not as much as before they were spayed

& it does all depend on the cat, not even the breed make's all the difference i don't think, because all cat's have different personality's!