When Will My Cat Give Birth?

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m a 16 year old homeschooled girl, who loves cats more than life itself. A few months ago, I found this stray, who was in heat and got pregnant. I decided to take her in, and when I did, her belling kept on growing and growing (like normal.) I know that the average time for a cat to give birth is 9 weeks, but I’m a little antsy. When will she ACTUALLY give birth? She looks like a water ballon.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking her in! Are you able to keep her 100% inside and away from males who haven’t been neutered until the kittens have weaned? Will you spay mom in a few months?

Do you feel the kittens moving yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m keeping her inside with no trouble-besides her waking me up in the middle of the night for an early breakfast. Out of my five cats, only one isn’t neutered, but he’s mostly an outside cat unless it rains. My grandma is planning of adopting her when the kittens are homed, so she would spay her immediately.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you keep the new mom away from your intact boy! She can get pregnant again within a week of delivery. Is mom eating well? She can have unlimited dry food, and meals of wet food while she is pregnant and nursing.

It would be best if you could get him neutered as well. He is much more likely to fight other cats outside if he isn't neutered.

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s extremely feral, and I’m afraid of him swiping and biting at the poor techs. He got hit on the head, his mother or sibling nowhere to be found. Just him. I took him in as well and nursed him to health, but now he has PTSD from whatever happened to him. I’m afraid to stress him out.
My girl is eating as we speak, a very healthy appetite. She has unlimited dry prescription food, and I feed her two cans of wet food a day. Is there any idea you have on telling how far along she is? I felt her kittens kick only three times before, her flank isn’t quite squirming with them yet.

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She went in heat... Probably late January.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is due soon. How is she doing today?

For the male, the vets are used to dealing with feral cats. They might ask you to give him a pill to make him relaxed before he comes in. Regardless, it’s important for his health, and you don’t want him mating with random females outside.

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s doing fine, a little aggressive playfully. I felt some babies kick around this morning!
And I’ll ask my mom about neutering Jack.

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fritzy is very hostile towards my dog, she strikes at him and hisses almost regularly. Is this normal? Or is she having some behavioral issues?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is normal behavior for a pregnant cat. They get very protective, especially the closer they get to delivery. It’s a normal instinct in pregnant cats. She will be this way after her kittens are born also.

Try to keep them separated for now, and definitely keep the dog away completely for several weeks after the kittens are born.

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it normal for one side of a pregnant cat’s, to be bigger than the other? Does it mean most of the kittens are on that one side?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it’s normal. It means there are more and/or bigger kittens on that side.

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really? Oh, good. I was panicking! I’m rather anxious for the new arrivals, I’ve never witnessed a cat birth before!

Ariadne L.N.T.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gave birth! Six healthy babies ^_^

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Congrats! We would love to see pictures! Is everyone latched and nursing?