When Will I Know It's Time To Get Them Together?

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a new kitten which has been in one room with baby gate or in her pen. My older cat seems to be getting back to normal routine. At first she'd hide and cry and not eat much. Now her routine seems OK....She sees the kitten thru the baby gate and sometimes just lays there and watches her and sometime s will approach the gate and hiss and growl After 5 days the growling seems to have stopped, still some hissing but this morning she went all the way up to the gate and sniffed. She has had opportunities to lunge at the baby (the kitten has her paws and legs out) and she can jump over but has not attempted. My question is : she now seems very interested and just want to know how I will know if the two get together it will be OK. Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will your cat eat if you put food or treats near the gate? Usually if they are eating within sight of each other that is a sign they are comfortable enough with the other cat to introduce them.

It sounds like you have already taken the initial introductions nice a slow. So I probably don't need to say it, but remember to be present every time they are together the first week or so to prevent problems.

Good luck!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a new kitten which has been in one room with baby gate or in her pen. My older cat seems to be getting back to normal routine. At first she'd hide and cry and not eat much. Now her routine seems OK....She sees the kitten thru the baby gate and sometimes just lays there and watches her and sometime s will approach the gate and hiss and growl After 5 days the growling seems to have stopped, still some hissing but this morning she went all the way up to the gate and sniffed. She has had opportunities to lunge at the baby (the kitten has her paws and legs out) and she can jump over but has not attempted. My question is : she now seems very interested and just want to know how I will know if the two get together it will be OK. Thanks!
I asked a very similar question about 4 months ago. There is no definitive answer. What I figured out from watching the cats and listening to people and reading a billion "How to introduce you new cat" articles was that there will come a time when the cats are "comfortable enough." Then you figure out how to have them loose together in such a way you can separate them if necessary. You keep them together for however long it takes them to start getting annoyed with each other and then you separate them. Err on the side of caution and separate them sooner rather than later. Use treats and food to make the interactions pleasant and eventually they will at least ignore each other and hopefully like each other.

You sound like you might be at the point to give them a brief supervised visit. It might be a little rougher than you expect - my guys batted and boxed for weeks and then wrestled constantly, but no real fights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will your cat eat if you put food or treats near the gate? Usually if they are eating within sight of each other that is a sign they are comfortable enough with the other cat to introduce them.

It sounds like you have already taken the initial introductions nice a slow. So I probably don't need to say it, but remember to be present every time they are together the first week or so to prevent problems.

Good luck!

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not tried the feeding yet. But I will this evening. I know the kitty will eat but if my older cat does not that means they (she) is not ready? Thank you for your suggestion!

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked a very similar question about 4 months ago. There is no definitive answer. What I figured out from watching the cats and listening to people and reading a billion "How to introduce you new cat" articles was that there will come a time when the cats are "comfortable enough." Then you figure out how to have them loose together in such a way you can separate them if necessary. You keep them together for however long it takes them to start getting annoyed with each other and then you separate them. Err on the side of caution and separate them sooner rather than later. Use treats and food to make the interactions pleasant and eventually they will at least ignore each other and hopefully like each other.

You sound like you might be at the point to give them a brief supervised visit. It might be a little rougher than you expect - my guys batted and boxed for weeks and then wrestled constantly, but no real fights.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your older cat won't eat it means she still feels a threat from the kitten and/or is too nervous. So you might want to give her a little more time before a face to face.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I am not quite there yet. I will try feeding one on one side and one on the other to see if my older cat will even eat near the kitten.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Good luck!

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It now has been 9 days and my older cat comes to the gate where kitty is playing. I am also in the room working. The kitty runs to the gate and my older cat now lays on her side still hissing but will lie there for about 20 minutes. The fact that she has not lunged or attempted to jump over the gate makes me feel that she is almost ready for interaction. My problem is that I don't want to force my older cat in the room and I don't want the kitten out in the house where I can't get to her if something goes wrong. I was thinking of removing the gate and holding the kitten and hopefully my older cat will come in. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you open the gate and distract the kitten with toys and petting that would probably work. Kittens are a smidgen unpredictable and squirmy so be prepared for the kitten getting away from you.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you open the gate and distract the kitten with toys and petting that would probably work. Kittens are a smidgen unpredictable and squirmy so be prepared for the kitten getting away from you.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can, try to do the first couple introductions with one person per cat - each one pampering and distracting their own cat. It is hard to predict which cat will try to defend its territory.

Like other will tell or have told you - try to make the first couple of introductions as positive as possible - it might only be a minute or two. Tired cats with full tummies and a handful of treats will help.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Once you take down the gate, have a wand-type toy ready that both your older cat and kitten love. You can use it to distract them if there's any tension or stare-down. Not to mention that having the kitten running around chasing the toy and paying no attention to your cat will help your cat feel more comfortable too.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once you take down the gate, have a wand-type toy ready that both your older cat and kitten love. You can use it to distract them if there's any tension or stare-down. Not to mention that having the kitten running around chasing the toy and paying no attention to your cat will help your cat feel more comfortable too.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.....I will try that. Everyone has assured me that my older cat will hiss and swat at her but in no way do they think she will harm the baby.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can, try to do the first couple introductions with one person per cat - each one pampering and distracting their own cat. It is hard to predict which cat will try to defend its territory.

Like other will tell or have told you - try to make the first couple of introductions as positive as possible - it might only be a minute or two. Tired cats with full tummies and a handful of treats will help.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love to do that but my older cat is so skittish and when someone comes over she heads for under the bed. She will eventually come out and greet them but it takes awhile.