When To Take Cat To The Vet

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have two cats. One is just over a year old and the other is 6 months old. Both are healthy spayed females and have been to the vet for their basic vaccinations and check ups.

They are strictly indoor cats. Within the last week, the younger cat was throwing up for a couple of days. It was concerning, but she seemed to show no other symptoms. She was eating well and was playful, not lethargic or sick-looking at all. After 4 days or so, she stopped vomiting and now seems perfectly fine.

However, our older cat stopped eating normally during this time and exhibits more symptoms of illness than the baby cat did. She is more lethargic, occasionally makes gagging faces (as if she wants to vomit but there is nothing to get up), and doesn't want to be touched much. Thinking that she caught what the younger cat had, we thought waiting a few days might be the answer and she would get better with time as well. Tomorrow will be the fourth day and we plan to take her to the vet then if she is not better. Should we speed it up and take her today? Do the more noticeable symptoms indicate that there is something more worrying going on?

Thanks for the advice!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take her in now.

An important thing to remember when dealing with sick cats is they are both prey and predator. While they have the hunting and killing instincts they also have the survival instincts of prey. This includes hiding pain, discomfort and illness because showing those are signs to a predator that you are easy prey. So a cat, in most cases, will hide their illness until it is too bad to hide. This is why many people think their cat is healthy one day and then suddenly have a major illness the next.

I can't tell you how many times I hear someone at the vet say, everything was fine yesterday and today he just can't move. And yes, I am at the vet for every little thing that seems off so I hear a lot of people checking in. Obviously, you noticed something off earlier but given your other cat are waiting to let it run its course. So while the situation isn't the same the basic idea does apply. If your cat is that noticably sick, then she likely feels a lot worse then you think. If you are here questioning it, I am guessing she is getting worse not better as time goes by. I would take her in as soon as possible to see if there is anything the vet can do to help speed or ease her recovery.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I agree with Keika. But, make sure you tell the vet about the previous issue with your younger cat as well. You never know if that information might be helpful in getting to the bottom of the problem with your 1 year old. The vet might want to see her too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She is more lethargic, occasionally makes gagging faces (as if she wants to vomit but there is nothing to get up), and doesn't want to be touched much.
This sentence is what concerned me, i.e. lethargy and not wanting to be touched. I know if any of my cat(s) were showing signs of fatigue or did not want to be petted/touched that would be an indication something was brewing.

I completely agree with both of the above members to contact your vet today especially since you may not be able to reach them over the weekend. Best of luck and please keep us posted. :alright:

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I concur with the opinions of the others. You know them best. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Never hurts to be paranoid in the case of a cat. As the others said, they're masters of disguise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank everyone who replied to this post. My little fur baby ended up needing surgery to remove an object stuck in her stomach. It was a very urgent situation but I did not realize that until I took her to the vet. It turned out that time was of the essence. Thank you all for encouraging me to take her signs of discomfort seriously! :blush:

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!
So surgery went well?
I'm sending all sorts of heal-fast thoughts your way :)!
She is on the mend according to the vet this morning. It was heart-breaking to leave her there, but of course it was the only option. I hope to be able to pick her up tonight. It has not been the same at home without her. The younger kitty seems to miss her presence...although I might be misinterpreting her behavior a bit ;)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I want to thank everyone who replied to this post. My little fur baby ended up needing surgery to remove an object stuck in her stomach. It was a very urgent situation but I did not realize that until I took her to the vet. It turned out that time was of the essence. Thank you all for encouraging me to take her signs of discomfort seriously! :blush:
Albeit surgery was unexpected I'm so thankful you took her health seriously. Glad she's on the mend, hope you can pick her up tonight too. Please keep us posted on her progress, good luck! :goodluck:

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Albeit surgery was unexpected I'm so thankful you took her health seriously. Glad she's on the mend, hope you can pick her up tonight too. Please keep us posted on her progress, good luck! :goodluck:
She is home and resting! Poor thing.

Attachments