When to remove e collar after spaying!!

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
I got my Phoebe spayed on 11th morning, it’s currently 16th morning so it’s been 5 days . I’ve attached picture of her incision, can you let me know if it looks good? Also do i remove the cone now? She is fine with cone but is sad when it’s on and a flash machine when it’s off!!
thank you

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO it looks really good in the picture and I think you could go ahead and take the cone off. Although i think it is doubtful... Just keep an eye on it and make sure she doesn't chew at the site and cause it to open..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I generally don't cone after a spay, so I'm no help. Kitties are good at self-limiting when it hurts. I would keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't lick it excessively. Watch for the incision becoming angry red or weeping. Also, if she stops eating or becomes lethargic, get her to the vet.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with the others. The Cone of Shame isn't always necessary. Only if your cat tries to lick or chew the incision site.

If you think it is necessary, keep it on for as long as the cat will tolerate it, up to a few days or a week. After that, even if the cat does lick herself, she won't be able to do much harm to herself.

If the cat won't tolerate the collar, don't try to force it on her. Just go without. Like the others say cats won't do something if it hurts. Besides, the acrimony from trying to force a collar on a cat that doesn't want it might do more harm than leaving it off, all together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How does the stitch looks? Idk why under is blueish. The spay site looks good though. She is also getting very hungry and licks and itches herself a lot. Also little portion of her leg ( inside) hair is gone idk why. Its been week.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks fine to me. Sometimes they follow up the sutures with a little skin glue which is blue. Or if done at a clinic they sometimes will tattoo a little blue to show spayed. The shaved inside of the leg is probably where they gave an intravenous injection of sedative or anesthesia. Is one of her front legs shaved from the iv catheter?

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm training my kitties to accept a cone about a month before the surgery just so they don't freak out if they need it. I hope they don't. Lizzy didn't when she got spayed.