When to neuter and spay

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bruce&Sheila

How do you choose a vet? Should I visit them all? It seems harder than choosing a doctor!
It sounds like you have already selected a vet, but if you aren't happy with them and want to find another:

First I ask people I know in the area for recommendations to narrow down my search of vets. I tend to pick people that I know are good pet parents. I make up a list of questions that are important to me and call around to interview them. I start with the person at the desk or ask for a vet tech. If necessary, I will ask to speak to the vet. The types of questions range from their office hours, the cost of basic annual checkups/shots, their ability to handle emergencies, to their philosophy on how they treat terminally ill cats.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine get done at 3 1/2 months (low cost clinic i use is 4mos but the two weeks dif isn't to noticable...as long as they are 3 lbs they allow it) years ago when I used a regular vet he required them to be 6 months old-he was a very older man and think his training went with his schooling age that you wait) As for the vet hunt ask friends/family/neighbors with animals who are well taken care of who they use-chacnes are you'll notice a clinic or two keeps poping up. that and also ask the vet recep. for a number or two they outsorce to if they have to many patients to handle for the day-I found my current vet from my old vets reccomendations(moved 10 miles and the new vet is few blocks away-in a emergency this means that much less time getting there)

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you dont mind me asking, whereabouts in the UK are you? There aren't a lot of vets that will spay young over here, but there are some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momofmany, thanks for your good advice about how to choose a vet.

I only know one person with pets, and he doesn't particularly recommend his vet! Yesterday I phoned round 5 or 6 to get basic info such as opening times, emergency facilities and neutering policy. Today I popped into the one I liked the sound of the best, and I had a brief chat with a very nice vet, and a longer chat with a veterinary nurse, and I feel very happy with their attitude and the appearance of the place.

Perhaps I could have found a vet that would neuter them at a younger age if I'd phoned round a wider area, but I think we can cope with 5 months, and the vets are conveniently located for us.

Booktigger, I'm in north Birmingham, UK. Although I've already chosen a vet, I wouldn't say no to further recommendations in my area, in case this vet doesn't work out!

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Bruce& Sheila! At the risk of repeating whats been said, I got my male done at 5 months which cost me £24 the microchipping was another £15. My female was 6 months, done this week in fact and was £35 and the same for her microchipping, she needed her front claws trimming as she was constantly attached to my net curtains which they didnt charge for.
You are right, most UK vets dont seem to neuter before 5 months for males and 6 for females. My vet said that its all about size for the female, when they are younger that 6 months its generally more difficult to see their tiny organs to do the surgery. It seems that you have done your homework and thats all any of us can do. I am sure your babies will do just fine. Good luck X

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm, dont know any in Birmingham off hand, I am closer to Manchester, but near the Yorkshire border, and there is a vet about 30 mins from me who will neuter at 8 weeks old - kitten or puppy. Shame you aren't closer really, fingers crossed yours dont try to do anything before they are old enough to be done.