When to make the tough decision? Any advice appreciated...

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that some will suffer in silence (some humans do this too). But I still feel that how we deal with death (our own or that of a loved one or those of complete strangers) helps to define who we are. The world in general is unplugged to the suffering and death that occurs every day; it is part of life.

To just give up hope, is the end of life. Hope gives us strength and spirit and generates miracles. Please, don't laugh; miracles do happen. Sometimes just one more day is a miracle. Sometimes it is just one more snuggle or one more day snoozing in a sunny spot or the comfort of a friend being near when there are no words.

In the end, all each of can do is to pray, stand by our beliefs, give comfort and love, and empathize with those who are dying.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It honestly doesn't sound like Fizz needs to go, she sounds like she's an old lady who just gets a little stiff once in a while. My biggest concern would be my cat starving to death, or laying in pain for days waiting to die.

Regardless of how natural death is, I personally do not think it is fair to watch an animal waste away, starving waiting for its body to finally shut down. I don't think it's fair if your cat is having a respiratory problem to let them suffocate because it's "natural" and they are "at home".

I honestly wish you and Fizz many more happy days together. Give her lots of hugs and get well vibes from me

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

It honestly doesn't sound like Fizz needs to go, she sounds like she's an old lady who just gets a little stiff once in a while. My biggest concern would be my cat starving to death, or laying in pain for days waiting to die.

Regardless of how natural death is, I personally do not think it is fair to watch an animal waste away, starving waiting for its body to finally shut down. I don't think it's fair if your cat is having a respiratory problem to let them suffocate because it's "natural" and they are "at home".

I honestly wish you and Fizz many more happy days together. Give her lots of hugs and get well vibes from me
I agree with this.

Originally Posted by Aries

Quality of life is a phrase that gets a lot of air time these days. I don't agree with most people over the definition or the sentiments behind it. I am pro-life all the way.
But I do somewhat agree with Aries. I lean more toward life - I think too many are ready to end their animal's lives too soon. Having said that, I would never want my pet to suffer or be in extreme pain.

Just be sure you've looked at all the options, talked to your vet at length, talked to your cat to see what they want, and be very sure of your decision. Good luck and I hope Fizz lives for a long time. You sound like a good cat mama.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But I do somewhat agree with Aries. I lean more toward life - I think too many are ready to end their animal's lives too soon. Having said that, I would never want my pet to suffer or be in extreme pain.
I have to agree in that aspect. Like someone already mentioned, it's great she's at least treating her for her diabetes and not euthanizing her, sometimes people would rather just end the animal's life instead of spend money and time doing insulin and what not. So I have to agree to an extent. But all too often do we get cats in being treated for renal failure, being force fed for weeks on end, that end up dying. And they end up dying in a vet clinic, alone, without the people they knew, without the smells that they knew. So the biggest aspect I come from is... if it was me, would I be happy.

Good luck and I hope Fizz lives for a long time. You sound like a good cat mama.
Agreed 100%

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shannon, I feel for you and kitty. I had to put my Sammy down 6 years ago, and it was the hardest decision I ever had to make. With him, his appetite was not good, but by changing his food and fussing over him, he lived a year -- a good, energetic, happy year -- after his appetite waned. [he was FIV positive]

I hold with those who say that you'll know when the day comes, but it sounds like it's not here yet. Trust your love for her to tell you when it's time.

Your desire for her to die a natural death at home makes me think you might want to consider asking the vet to come to you. With Sammy, the vet came to our house and Sammy died on his Mommy's lap on his favorite couch, and Mommy had a loving supportive person on either side of her. For me, it was the thought not wanting his last experience to be the sights and sounds and smells of the vet's office. I had to call around to find someone, and the vet I found was wonderful - they even sent me a condolence card.

My thoughts are with you as you begin to struggle with this sad idea.

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, if she can still do the indy 500 she is not ready to go!
I guilt trip myself thinking back on some decisions maybe I waited too long. I see some of us also do the guilt trip thing. It's very hard, and I think they understand we love them and are trying to do the best for them we can.
It sounds like she might be adjusting to the medication pretty well.