When to let new kittens out of their room

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me and my girlfriend just adopted our first kittens (approximately 2 months old) three days ago, and after hiding out pretty much all day the first tow days, they have been unable to sleep, constantly crying and are practically throwing themselves at the door to get into the apartment. They have picked up using the litter box very well despite not being trained before, and I feel bad keeping the locked up in the tiny and stuffy bathroom. Tonight my girlfriend is sleeping out in the living room to keep tabs on them and we are hoping they can get their zoomies out and then go to bed in their cat carrier.

Ive read a ton and the majority of articles say to keep them in a separate room or side room for a week or so, but our kittens seem to have worked up the nerve to go out and run around in a larger space than the bathroom allows. Despite this, they still hide from us frequently and it's difficult to pet them, let alone pick them up. Is it too early for letting them be in the apartment? Or is it alright to let the be out while supervised?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Z zcatlin welcome to TCS.

They're not crying to get out of the bathroom. They're crying to go home. If you let them out of the bathroom they're going to do exactly the same thing in the rest of your apartment; desperately look for a way out so they can go back to their mother.

Where did you get these kittens from? Were they with their mother and siblings? 2 months is a little bit young to be taken away from mum (we recommend waiting until they are at least 12 weeks old) but I understand that with kittens that urgently need to be rehomed this isn't always possible.

If you can't let them go back to their mother for another month you need to work on getting them used to you. You really shouldn't let them out of their safe space until you can confidently pick them up and put them back when needed. You also need to make sure that your apartment is kitten proof before you let them explore.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips - TheCatSite

I know it's difficult, but you just need to be patient (and maybe invest in a good pair of ear plugs) As a general rule kittens and new cats are settled and ready to explore the rest of their home when they stop constantly crying.

When can a kitten safely explore the house? - TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So long as they are supervised, it should not be a problem. It isn't as if there are other animals in the house, requiring slow introductions. Make sure that they cannot get behind or INTO anything they shouldn't...refrigerators, stoves, things like that, and remember that recliners can be deadly to kittens and cats. Literally. Remeber, you MUST be able to reach them at all times. Once they have a chance to explore and run around (and climb the curtains, and climb your legs , and swing from the blinds (btw...if your blind cords are attached together at the bottom, CLIP TIME...a kitten can hang itself in a blind cord), and knock over everything equal to or smaller than itself, they may well sleep better. Here are a few of our articles that may help!

10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know - TheCatSite

ENJOY THEM! They're going to drive you crazy, but in a couple of years, you'll miss these days!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Z zcatlin welcome to TCS.

They're not crying to get out of the bathroom. They're crying to go home. If you let them out of the bathroom they're going to do exactly the same thing in the rest of your apartment; desperately look for a way out so they can go back to their mother.

Where did you get these kittens from? Were they with their mother and siblings? 2 months is a little bit young to be taken away from mum (we recommend waiting until they are at least 12 weeks old) but I understand that with kittens that urgently need to be rehomed this isn't always possible.

If you can't let them go back to their mother for another month you need to work on getting them used to you. You really shouldn't let them out of their safe space until you can confidently pick them up and put them back when needed. You also need to make sure that your apartment is kitten proof before you let them explore.

I know it's difficult, but you just need to be patient (and maybe invest in a good pair of ear plugs) As a general rule kittens and new cats are settled and ready to explore the rest of their home when they stop constantly crying.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure as to the relationship with the mother, but It seemed to me like there was a hoarding problem going on in their original household.

We've kittenproofed our living room save for a spot under a sturdy bookcase that we figured they'd like to have the ability to hide under. We let them out last night, and they played with one another for about an hour before getting tired and returning to their safe spot and sleeping. They were really tearing around chasing each other and had lot of curiosity for our sleeping spot.

I think we'll keep them in the safe spot until we can handle them as you recommend. Is there anything I can do to divert their attention to the doors and scratching?

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So long as they are supervised, it should not be a problem. It isn't as if there are other animals in the house, requiring slow introductions. Make sure that they cannot get behind or INTO anything they shouldn't...refrigerators, stoves, things like that, and remember that recliners can be deadly to kittens and cats. Literally. Remeber, you MUST be able to reach them at all times. Once they have a chance to explore and run around (and climb the curtains, and climb your legs , and swing from the blinds (btw...if your blind cords are attached together at the bottom, CLIP TIME...a kitten can hang itself in a blind cord), and knock over everything equal to or smaller than itself, they may well sleep better. Here are a few of our articles that may help!

10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know - TheCatSite

ENJOY THEM! They're going to drive you crazy, but in a couple of years, you'll miss these days!
Thanks for the reply.

Our living room is pretty well kitten proofed sve for the table and one hiding spot I left for them on purpose. We have 2 big papason chairs and a table, so I'm not really concerned about them getting anywhere we don't know. They were chasing each other around play fighting for about an hour or so, tearing through the room, until they got tired and went back to bed.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing is lost by letting them out and seeing how they react. I think they will be calmer once they have the opportunity to explore their new surrounding and check out their humans. You want to be absolutely sure there are no small crevices they can get stuck in because they will likely hide at first, but at the same time that they have some spots to hide while they are determining if you and their surroundings feel safe. If they aren’t afraid of you then for sure they need some cuddling and petting to calm them.

You will need a litter box, food and water near wherever they are hanging out and can always return the smaller space if you feel you need to.

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing is lost by letting them out and seeing how they react. I think they will be calmer once they have the opportunity to explore their new surrounding and check out their humans. You want to be absolutely sure there are no small crevices they can get stuck in because they will likely hide at first, but at the same time that they have some spots to hide while they are determining if you and their surroundings feel safe. If they aren’t afraid of you then for sure they need some cuddling and petting to calm them.

You will need a litter box, food and water near wherever they are hanging out and can always return the smaller space if you feel you need to.
Thank you for your reply.

That's what I have read, we originally only had one but I got a second to put in the living room, and they use it as well. They're getting more used to our presence but I do worry about them being anxious because they're young and possibly weaned too early or neglected due to their previous home. They're not quite ready to cuddle, but it's only their fourth day in the home. Despite that they seem to love the bigger room! Last night we slept out there to keep an eye on them until they returned to their kennel.

Ive taken to stuffing books into any small areas that they might try to get into, and it seems to work well... Though I have left a space for them under a large bookshelf that I think is fine for them, if they hunker down they fit in there fine and have taken to napping underneath it. They come out on their own but I don't think they're comfortable enough for me to put my hand down there and remove them myself. Should I block that one off? They have a table to hide under as well that's easier to access.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is fine to leave their little hiding place since they are coming out on their own. I would never remove them from a spot or block it unless it is really unsafe. They sound like they are doing really well for such a short time. I would spend lots of time sitting or laying on the floor when they are in the room because you are less scary when you are closer to their height. You can have a few small toys and knock them around which may interest them enough to come out and join the play. It will happen eventually. It is best to not try to pet them or pick them up until they come to you and seem to want the attention. Just imagine someone twenty times your size reaching for you, pretty scary if you don’t know or trust thrm.

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it is fine to leave their little hiding place since they are coming out on their own. I would never remove them from a spot or block it unless it is really unsafe. They sound like they are doing really well for such a short time. I would spend lots of time sitting or laying on the floor when they are in the room because you are less scary when you are closer to their height. You can have a few small toys and knock them around which may interest them enough to come out and join the play. It will happen eventually. It is best to not try to pet them or pick them up until they come to you and seem to want the attention. Just imagine someone twenty times your size reaching for you, pretty scary if you don’t know or trust thrm.
True that, hahaha! We've got some crackly toys they've already taken to, and have a scratching/lounging thingamabob they they like to go under and through. I hope they do start coming up soon, we'd love to start giving them love! They are making great progress.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and remember that recliners can be deadly to kittens and cats. Literally.
I'd never have imagined this, until living with Willy as my first cat.

Way, way back during the first year of having him, he disappeared one day and no one could figure out where he was. Thankfully, our instincts were not to touch or move anything, and just examine everything closely. We found that he actually climbed up inside the inner compartment of a recliner chair.

That actually became one of his favorite resting spots, so we knew never to move the chair's components if we could not see Willy right in front of us somewhere else in the room.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When Peaches was 5 weeks old,2.5 pds,she would hide in a tiny opening located between the. Kitchen and stove on the ground,a walk through hole. Hard to spot. I even shut my kitchen door while she was in there but noticed right away. She had many chew toys,cubes,wand toys. She would wiggle her little boots and jump a centimeter. I fed her canned wellness core.more expensivenow.shes 10 yrs old

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest giving them a cat cube or cardboard box 📦 on it’s side. Put tissue paper or towels for them to play/burrow in. Drape a towel or pillowcase over 1/2 the box’s entrance. That way they can hide in a safe place.

I would keep them in the bathroom for another week. Then take them with you into the living room (or bedroom if it is attached to the bathroom.) with a wand toy or two ?& maybe another box.) Let them explore while you watch them. Let them run back to the bathroom if safety. Little kittens get into things you would never imagine …… until they hit around 4 months old. So until 4 months , only let them out with supervision.

Until then puzzle feeders and rotating toys will help keep them entertained. That box of tissue paper/newspaper. I do that plus some small toys (crinkle balls, jingle balls, mice etc) mixed in the tissue paper …… it is a great way to entertain kittens (& hyper terrors.) My hyper boy gets a new box or jumbo gift bag each month (or a pop up tent this month.) If you change up their small toys once a week; it should help keep them mentally stimulated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When Peaches was 5 weeks old,2.5 pds,she would hide in a tiny opening located between the. Kitchen and stove on the ground,a walk through hole. Hard to spot. I even shut my kitchen door while she was in there but noticed right away. She had many chew toys,cubes,wand toys. She would wiggle her little boots and jump a centimeter. I fed her canned wellness core.more expensivenow.shes 10 yrs old
I mean refridgerator!

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest giving them a cat cube or cardboard box 📦 on it’s side. Put tissue paper or towels for them to play/burrow in. Drape a towel or pillowcase over 1/2 the box’s entrance. That way they can hide in a safe place.

I would keep them in the bathroom for another week. Then take them with you into the living room (or bedroom if it is attached to the bathroom.) with a wand toy or two ?& maybe another box.) Let them explore while you watch them. Let them run back to the bathroom if safety. Little kittens get into things you would never imagine …… until they hit around 4 months old. So until 4 months , only let them out with supervision.

Until then puzzle feeders and rotating toys will help keep them entertained. That box of tissue paper/newspaper. I do that plus some small toys (crinkle balls, jingle balls, mice etc) mixed in the tissue paper …… it is a great way to entertain kittens (& hyper terrors.) My hyper boy gets a new box or jumbo gift bag each month (or a pop up tent this month.) If you change up their small toys once a week; it should help keep them mentally stimulated.
That's a good idea with the box. They've been sleeping in their carrier for the days we've had them, but I'd like to get them used to sleeping on a cat bed. Im thinking today I'll take out the carrier and introduce a box, but I'm worried that it might be too soon and they might miss the familiarity. Any thoughts on this?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea with the box. They've been sleeping in their carrier for the days we've had them, but I'd like to get them used to sleeping on a cat bed. Im thinking today I'll take out the carrier and introduce a box, but I'm worried that it might be too soon and they might miss the familiarity. Any thoughts on this?
I would leave both out or just introduce a cat bed. Cats are naturally drawn to something soft and fuzzy so getting them used to a cat bed is pretty easy.

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would leave both out or just introduce a cat bed. Cats are naturally drawn to something soft and fuzzy so getting them used to a cat bed is pretty easy.
That's what I'm hoping, they've had their bed in the room since the second day so they are comfortable with it's presence. Though I have been unable to get them to sleep on it, hence why I'm thinking of removing the carrier and putting their blanket (my old snuggie lol) on their bed. I want them to be comfortable sleeping in the open, that way they can sleep in any part of the apartment when they're confident enough.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't take the carrier away. You will want to make it a comfortable spot (you'll thank me later when you need to take them to the vet).
I would add just other comfy spots like boxes, perches and beds for them to lounge in and on. 20230428_194445.jpg

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could take the blanket from the carrier and put it near the bed to spead their scent around. Put a fresh one in the carrier since it's their safe place.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was able to get a small dog crate from my local Buy Nothing Group and that is a big hit here. I covered it with carboard (zip-tied) and then a blanket.

Kitten Lady will have a lot of good resources for you too: Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady

I'm glad with supervision it's going well! After you build trust, try some clicker training so you can teach them to come when called.