When to give up on a feral paralyzed cat?

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted here a while ago about the paralyzed cat that was shot. Today the vet suggested I put her down because I’m unable to take care of her because she won’t let me handle her. I asked him how do I know the appropriate time to give her a chance and he just said I don’t know. Am I making this cat suffer by basically scaring her everyday or should I keep trying to work with her?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted here a while ago about the paralyzed cat that was shot. Today the vet suggested I put her down because I’m unable to take care of her because she won’t let me handle her. I asked him how do I know the appropriate time to give her a chance and he just said I don’t know. Am I making this cat suffer by basically scaring her everyday or should I keep trying to work with her?
You have to evaluate quality of life. If it seems like her quality of life is not good, then the decision has been made for you.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Speaking from the job that I do, no matter what decision you make, you'll end up questioning yourself if it was the right thing to do.
"Did I not give her enough of a chance to fight?", "Did I let her suffer because I waited too long?". I hear these questions every single day.
I agree with klunick klunick , you have to evaluate the quality of her entire world. She may be safe and warm, but is she in pain? Is she losing weight and constantly having to lie in her own poop and pee?
It's never going to be an easy, straight forward decision. But you have to do what's best for her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I mentioned my previous GSD who had degenerative myelopathy. Never being able to handle a paralyzed animal will cause complications, very quickly, to keeping her clean, keeping her skin healthy, and other possibilities like skin abrasions if she drags herself in order to move. You are there with her, and I do not mean to imply that I think you should put her down. Please keep in mind that whatever you do, you have been extremely kind to this cat and tried harder than 99.99% of the people in the world would have done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have to evaluate quality of life. If it seems like her quality of life is not good, then the decision has been made for you.
Thanks, that’s the tough part, I can’t properly evaluate her quality of life knowing that if she was socialized it would be different.

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Speaking from the job that I do, no matter what decision you make, you'll end up questioning yourself if it was the right thing to do.
"Did I not give her enough of a chance to fight?", "Did I let her suffer because I waited too long?". I hear these questions every single day.
I agree with klunick klunick , you have to evaluate the quality of her entire world. She may be safe and warm, but is she in pain? Is she losing weight and constantly having to lie in her own poop and pee?
It's never going to be an easy, straight forward decision. But you have to do what's best for her.
Thanks, I’m torn but I’ve decided to at least give her a chance.

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mentioned my previous GSD who had degenerative myelopathy. Never being able to handle a paralyzed animal will cause complications, very quickly, to keeping her clean, keeping her skin healthy, and other possibilities like skin abrasions if she drags herself in order to move. You are there with her, and I do not mean to imply that I think you should put her down. Please keep in mind that whatever you do, you have been extremely kind to this cat and tried harder than 99.99% of the people in the world would have done.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I’ve drawn up a socialization plan and will see how it goes with her. It’s scary cause I don’t know whether I’m giving up to soon or making his suffer more. According to the vets she is not in any pain but I’m having trouble with keeping her bottom clean and dry. I have contacted another vet to see if she can help. :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The question with paralysis is often whether there is enough feeling to create pain. In the case of my GSD, DM kills all nerve endings so while the legs are not useable, they are also completely "dead" with no feeling whatsoever in them. If the cat is not in pain, which is completely possible, the next challenge is keeping her clean and dry. Not being able to handle her is the complication as there are solutions for an animal in that condition who can be handled. Contacting another vet is a good idea.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry I’m coming in to this so late. You’ve obviously got a HUGE heart, and care for this dear cat with all your heart. You’ve gotten great advice above (I’m glad for you that you’ve even had a special needs expert weigh in). On this site — often particularly in this forum- answers aren’t easy. And no matter how many of us have dealt with issue after issue — each cat, each caregiver, each situation — is totally unique. You know your ability emotionally, physically & financially to care for this sweet one....we can only offer advice, & more importantly, support. Please know if for ANY of those reasons caring for her isn’t the wise or kind thing to continue doing — you’ll be totally surrounded by people who understand. While it’s not the same —- I’m currently caring for a TNR’d kitty we brought in (5 years ago!) after she had a lump removed last week. While she’s now far from feral — the pain, the cone, the confusion has caused some reversion to her feral ways (sleeping w/one eye open, difficulty recognizing us, etc) —— we did what we had to, but it’s still hard to see them frightened. They don’t understand, no matter how much we wish we could explain. And we’ve cared for multiple feral/semi-feral at the shelter with gunshot wounds, burns, etc., and the results were mixed. Some cats - w/lots of care, came through for the better. For some, the stress on the kitty was too much.

None of my examples are meant in any way for you to say “let’s give up now.” You know the situation - esp the kitty AND yourself— best. I usually turn to one of this site’s fantastic articles/members. And I still recommend that! But one place you might check out for ideas/inspiration/understanding... the site of a small, solely TNR group “Tiny Kittens” in western Canada. (I’ll look up site in a sec). It might help you feel better about making a decision either way. Neither way is easy - I totally understand. But I believe - loving this cat as you do — a moment will come that adds clarity as to what’s best for her. And that’s what’s the hardest — but most important thing to do....that YOU can do for her.
And know we’re all here for you! :grouphug2:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That website is simply Tinykittens.com .... they do deal with many injured (in many ways) ferals, & video document many. It’s an interesting group/site to check out....i turn to it (after I turn here first :redheartpump:) when I need to visually be reminded that our deep love for them has many journeys & just as many endings.
Please keep us posted. I’ll be thinking about you!