When to get worried about diarrhea?

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I recently switched my kittens (~3 1/2 months) to wet food about an week and a half ago on a recommendation from their vet. they seem to enjoy it much more than the dry kitten food they were previously eating, but since they have started the new food they have had very loose stool. I know that having diarrhea is common when switching foods, but I'm getting concerned that it may be an ongoing issue for them. They do drink plenty of water so I'm not as worried about dehydration, more so their gut and stomach. My girlfriend thinks its a lack of fiber in their diet but I'm not so sure. Should I take them in to see the vet or should I wait it out to see if it resolves? Any advice is appreciated!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best person to judge when you should see the vet re: diahrea for that is to just call your vets office and ask 😊 They aren't likely to have you come in needlessly.

Sometimes a little bit of plain unsweetened pumpkin can help sort their tummies. The local rescues use that for food changes.

There's many different threads on probiotics: Probiotics

do you know about the pinch test for hydration?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What food did you switch to? It could be that it's just too rich for their bodies. I always like to give my kittens and young cats Royal Canin Babycat.

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I recently switched my kittens (~3 1/2 months) to wet food about an week and a half ago on a recommendation from their vet. they seem to enjoy it much more than the dry kitten food they were previously eating, but since they have started the new food they have had very loose stool. I know that having diarrhea is common when switching foods, but I'm getting concerned that it may be an ongoing issue for them. They do drink plenty of water so I'm not as worried about dehydration, more so their gut and stomach. My girlfriend thinks its a lack of fiber in their diet but I'm not so sure. Should I take them in to see the vet or should I wait it out to see if it resolves? Any advice is appreciated!
Is it purina wet food? Purina wet food gave several of my cats diarrhea. It could be the particular food.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has had diarrhea frequently in the early years of his life. Also, he frequently vomited a lot. Also, constipation sometimes. Basically, his digestive system has frequently been unhappy.

Probiotics were by far the best solution for all of these problems.

Also, I always made sure to provide plenty of constant fresh water.

Ultimately, I found that the ratio of 3:1 wet:dry food worked best for my particular cat's digestive issues, along with probiotics.

Wet/dry food ratio and pooping issues