When to get another cat

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long is appropriate to get another kitty after one has passed?

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your heart will tell you when the time is right and, when it is, the kitty that is meant to be yours will somehow find you.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you feel like a new kitty will help fill the hole in your heart left by the old one, then it's time. I've seen people at the shelter on the way home from having their long-time pet put to sleep.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say that is a different decision for each person. You will know when and if the time is right.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been asking myself the same question. I've gone from "I'm never getting another cat" after Marshmallow died so young, to "I want a kitten NOW." The problem is, I've found my kitten at the animal shelter. I've fallen in love with him.
I've been to the shelter twice, both times with a friend on business, and seen this little red kitten climbing the bars of his cage. He's the only one that does that and he's stolen my heart. I know he's still there...I have an inside source...but now is not a good time to adopt. DH just had surgery and is not doing well. (He will recover...it has just been at lot worse than any of us, including the doctor, anticipated.) Plus, we have four cats of our own, have also sort of adopted the neighbor's elderly cat because they don't pay him much attention, and DH has been working to have the strays at his friend's house spayed/neutered and vetted. (He's having to take a month off from his efforts due to the surgery...we are hoping none of the remaining cats mutiply in the meantime.) I know my kitten's days are numbered...he's at a high kill shelter...but there is so much going on right now that I don't think adopting him will be possible. I apologize for going into all this; I know it doesn't answer your question.
But like the previous posters said, you'll know when the right cat or kitten comes along and the time is right.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi hun, I think whenever you feel you want one, no other kitty can replace a lost one but can help heal the hole in your heart. My friend has just got two new kittens after her cat Henry died very tragically 2 months ago and she still misses and remembers Henry every day but the babies really help her and have definetely helped filled that gap.xx

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be two weeks, it could be a day, it could be a year, it could be 10 years. It's all on who you are and what you need and what works for you. Like has been said, a personal decision. You gotta do what's right for you. And you are never replacing a cat if you bring another home. You're just lucky enough to be a great enough and big enough love to have room in your heart for another one.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my chinchilla passed away it was extremely traumatic for me (it has been almost a year and I am still not over it). After a lot of long conversations with my husband we decided not to get any more chins and opted for a kitty instead and that's how Hurley came to be with us. We adopted him 2 months after Chloe passed away. Having the kitties has helped a lot with the pain of losing my sweet girl.

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree it depends on the person and the circumstance. I ended up waiting three years after my elderly cat died at 18yrs. The end was very traumatic and I carried a lot of guilt over the final decision to PTS. She was very dear to me and a life ling friend.
I'm glad I waited but that's a personal viewpoint.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As everyone else said- it's a personal choice.

When Mistoflees died last year, I said I didn't want any more animals. Sneaky was fine as an 'only"

Then a friend of mine from church found a cat. And she was pregnant. And the friend had 3 kittens that she couldn't keep. And the girls were screaming for another cat. And that's how HollyHeart came to live with us.

She is a sweet kitty. Kind of crazy- we went away for 10 days. The neighbor's kids watched her, but I think she missed us. Because this cat has followed me around everywhere for the last 2 days lol.

Cheryl

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all the above. The only thing I would add, from a practical point of view, is that if your cat died ffrom one of a small number of infectious/contagious diseases like FIP, then you should take your vet's advice on how long to wait to be sure it is a safe environment for a new cat. You may also need to disinfect your house, but again, take advice. I suspect that a cat may find you before very long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. There has been this cat that has been at the shelter for over three months. She is the most beautiful black cat with almost neon green eyes.

I can afford to have another kitty but feel guilty about getting one so soon.

I think I will pick her up on Saturday.

Here is what she looks like:

The APL is having a cat "special" this month. Cats are $25.00, kittens are $15.00. If the cats are black, adults are $10.00. They go home spayed/neutered, flea treated, disease tested and a complimentary vet check up.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I say go for it too. You may be saving her life and she is very pretty. I love black kitties.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I brought her home today!!!

She is very shy but I am sure she will warm up soon. She doesn't hiss, scratch or show any aggression.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks

My son did point out to me that I brought home a black kitty on Friday the 13th.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, she's beautiful. Love her eyes
. She will never replace the ones now gone, but she will be another one to love.

Personally, I think of adopting a black cat on Friday the 13th as a lucky sign,
!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Boomer would approve.

She was an indoor kitty and someone just dumped her off outside.

They told me at the shelter that she is really shy but she has been sitting on my lap for over an hour now. I am just not seeing the shy there.

Her shelter name was Coco but I have named her Charna.