When to expect my cats labor?!

Gizmo300c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. On January 23rd, I noticed my cat looked visibly pregnant. Someone posted her on a free site two weeks before and we took her in. We don’t know much about her but she was obviously pregnant when we brought her home I just didn’t know it. So it’s been 35 days since I first noticed her belly was getting big. Google says they are usually atleast 30 days pregnant when you can first notice. So she has to be 65+ days along. Should I be worried there is no signs of labor? She’s eating a ton, playing like normal, sleeping a lot but hasn’t been nesting that I can tell. I can also visibly see the kittens moving when she’s laying down. She will be getting fixed as soon as she’s able to after having this litter so this doesn’t happen again. I made her a comfy box in a quiet room and I put her in there at night when I’m sleeping, but so far.. nothing!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your sweetie is visibly preg, but either she isnt fully big as yet, or its a smallish litter.
Anyway, you are in a position as very many owners of moggies are: you really dont know... So its the usual waiting game. Not very fun, but what to do?
Just to prepare and wait.

There are many possible signs its nearing, the most reliable sign is, if she drops, ie suddenly looks less pregnant, and you dont see the kittens move as much.
At this moment its about 2 days left...

Ps. Kittens manage a too short pregnancy much worse than human babies.
But cats manage a too long pregnancy better than humans..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmo300c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your sweetie is visibly preg, but either she isnt fully big as yet, or its a smallish litter.
Anyway, you are in a position as very many owners of moggies are: you really dont know... So its the usual waiting game. Not very fun, but what to do?

There are many possible signs its nearing, the most reliable sign is, if she drops, ie suddenly looks less pregnant, and you dont see the kittens move as much.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I’ll keep you all updated. I’m unsure if she’s “dropped” I can’t really tell. She’s definitely not very big so I was thinking possibly just 2-3 kittens. I’m just nervous for her!

Gizmo300c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning she was dragging her bottom on the floor, and then licking herself. She was licking her private area but also her tail and the bottom of her paws. She’s tried twice to go under my daughters bed. So, I’ve put her in the comfy box I made for her and put her in a quiet room. Maybe today is the day? Do they typically drag their bottom on the ground?

Gizmo300c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I noticed this morning she was scooting her butt on the floor. I’m not sure why. But she was also licking herself a lot so I put her in the soft warm spot I made for her. She’s now just constantly meowing licking herself and changing positions but I don’t see any pushing happening. She won’t let me leave the room either. How long does this stage normally last?

Gizmo300c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like stage one labor and she’s terribly uncomfortable. Poor kitty. This stage lasts about 24 hours. Next stage is pushing.
Now I’m getting nervous. She hasn’t been pushing at all that I have seen. Just looking uncomfortable and licking herself a lot. But then a small bit of a sac was bulging out, she kept licking it and broke it. The fluid went onto the towel and now when I look at her vulva nothing is there and it appears closed. She broke that sac one hour ago. She still isn’t pushing. She doesn’t seem in distress just sleeping and then meowing if I leave her. Should I be concerned that she broke the sac and there’s no pushing or signs of a kitten coming?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now I’m getting nervous. She hasn’t been pushing at all that I have seen. Just looking uncomfortable and licking herself a lot. But then a small bit of a sac was bulging out, she kept licking it and broke it. The fluid went onto the towel and now when I look at her vulva nothing is there and it appears closed. She broke that sac one hour ago. She still isn’t pushing. She doesn’t seem in distress just sleeping and then meowing if I leave her. Should I be concerned that she broke the sac and there’s no pushing or signs of a kitten coming?
Kittens are in double sacks, so to speak. So although the water has gone - yes its potentially alarming.
But our experience is, usually all ends well anyway, with a natural delivery...

prelabor may be long as said, the active pushing phase is shorter than with humans. When active pushing phase happens, and lasts longer than 1 hour, off to the vet...

During the time, give her calcium rich food / fluid, whatever you have at home and she takes. But not pasteurized cow milk...
Low calcium in blood may cause weak labor.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Are you sure it was prelabor? It could also been the Braxton Hicks conculsions, these happens several days before delivery.
Has she dropped? Ie suddenly looks less preg? THIS happens after the BH, just a 2 days before delivery.

G Gizmo300c

Gizmo300c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. Are you sure it was prelabor? It could also been the Braxton Hicks conculsions, these happens several days before delivery.
Has she dropped? Ie suddenly looks less preg? THIS happens after the BH, just a 2 days before delivery.

G Gizmo300c
it was real labor. She had a sac come out, she broke it and then no kitten came. After 2 hours our vet had us come in for X-rays. They saw 4 very big kittens she wouldn’t be able to pass on her own so she’s in surgery right now. 😔 They’re unsure if any of the kittens will survive but they will be calling me to let me know when she’s done.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
it was real labor. She had a sac come out, she broke it and then no kitten came. After 2 hours our vet had us come in for X-rays. They saw 4 very big kittens she wouldn’t be able to pass on her own so she’s in surgery right now. 😔 They’re unsure if any of the kittens will survive but they will be calling me to let me know when she’s done.
Ouch. Luck you followed your instincts and DID called on the vets... And had a vet, and afford to pay...

These of our forumists whom dont afford to safeguard with visit to a vet, or where the vet doesnt have time; must live on hope...

Lets hope for the best! Vibes!