When to consider rehoming

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This actually sounds a LOT like what my husband and I are going through right now. Mr. Spock has been pooping beside his litter box for about a year now, maybe a bit more. It's driving us both mad, especially my husband. I'm the one that has to clean it (he won't touch the stuff!), but when he comes home to a stinky smell before I get home, he's not a happy man! Luckily, Spock has only peed a couple of times outside the box, and that's been usually in a pile of laundry or something. We're both at our wit's end. We love our boy (he was the first kitty we adopted after getting married), but it's getting really frustrating having to clean up poo all the time! We're wondering if he might be happier outside. But I'm in the same predicament you are, because we can't let him out at our place. There are stray dogs around, and we live pretty close to the road, and people drive 45 to 50 mph if not more. I'd be too afraid for him. We have another kitty named Saki who we've never had a problem with. He and Mr. Spock get along wonderfully. Spock is affectionate, but only when he wants to be. I'm just not sure what his problem is. I feel your pain, and I'm sorry we're both having to deal with this! I don't know if I could handle giving him up unless it was to someone I knew well. So I know how hard this decision is for you. I'm having trouble too.

One thing I was thinking about while I was reading is, what if you fed the other cat in the bathroom instead of locking up Gus? Would he like that better? I don't know if it would stop the peeing/pooping, but it couldn't hurt. Might make him happier. Just a thought.

I hope my story helped, and I hope you realize you're not the only one dealing with this! Good luck, and keep me posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can commiserate together.

Originally Posted by AllySh0rty

One thing I was thinking about while I was reading is, what if you fed the other cat in the bathroom instead of locking up Gus? Would he like that better? I don't know if it would stop the peeing/pooping, but it couldn't hurt. Might make him happier. Just a thought.
Unfortunately, the other cat has been charged so many times whist eating by Gus that he will not eat unless we're there. He will just sit in the other room meowing if he's left alone to eat. I think he's become fearful of eating and figures if we're there than we can watch his back for him.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats on prozac and I'm not sure of the unhappy stories others have heard, but it has saved those 2 from being put to sleep. Bert was peeing on everything and had no medical reason to be doing so. Oscar was starting bloody battles with my other cats, causing one to start pulling his hair out. Both have been on prozac for about 6 months. Bert has totally stopped peeing and Oscar has calmed down considerably and my other cats hair is starting to grow back. Also, neither of their personalities (besides the bad parts that I wanted rid of) have changed in the slightest.
Neither Elavil or Buspar did anything to fix the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my MIL offered to take Gus. We will be up visiting them for 4th of July weekend, and I think Gus will be staying when we leave. I've said before that Gus has never peed out of the box at their house. There is another cat there that he wrestles with all day long and he never has to be confined as they have a large house. The best part is that he can still be an inside only cat there and we'd still get to see him.

I am okay with this move aside from the fact that I really feel terrible for DH. Gus is really his baby. Gus only snuggles with DH, they play together all the time, Gus grooms DH's beard every night, etc. I think he'll be heartbroken to see him go.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it will be heartbreaking for you guys to let him go - but he will be happier there.