When to brush/bathe?

lucylittlekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cats but my parents were more of the "let them outside and they can take care of them selves" kind of owners. I have 2 cats a short hair and long hair (more medium) and I'm wondering how often I should be brushing them and with what brushes. Also should i be bathing them? as of now I only bathe them when they get into something bad like dog poo or are really smelly and not cleaning them selves well enough. I always thought that if they don't smell or look dirty they don't need a bath because they do it themselves. I also occasionally use the waterless shampoo.

I cut their nails and clean their ears weekly and brush their teeth with cat paste daily. Is there any other grooming care things I should/could do for them?

Here's some pictures of them so you can see the fur type they have for brushing suggestions.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adorable cats...

I would brush them as often as they will tolerate it, especially during shedding season.

I would bathe them as little as possible, and only if--as you indicated--they get into something nasty.

The other grooming you're doing is just fine -- and brushing their teeth, wow!  Wish I could do that with Ritz' teeth.

Are they outdoor cats?  In which case, you maybe *shouldn't* clip their nails; that is their only defense if they come across an angry dog, racoon, coyote, etc.  And they will probably NEED to be brushed, depending on what bushes they go under.

And, I trust they are spayed / neutered!