when to bring new cats to vets

gardencats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just acquired two 6 month old cats (brother and sister). The previous owner was a work acquaintance who had to move and needed a home for them. I lost my cat about 6 months ago and have been really missing cats around so offered to take them in. Got them today and they are slowly adjusting to the new place by hiding under my futon :) 

The previous owner had not brought them to the vets and I really want to get them in ASAP but I'm worried about freaking them out anymore then they already are! The first obstacle will be to get them out from under the futon! and then to put them back in the crate and to another weird place seems like a lot for them right now. The male cat is hissing and growling at me when I get to close and I don't want our relationship to start out bad :/

I'm also really worried about getting them fixed sooner then later. I'm concerned that they are on the older side for getting spayed/neutered and really dont want them having kittens together or the boy to start spraying!!

So i'm looking for input on what would be the best approach. Do I let them settle in for a week or two and then vet them or get them in ASAP?

Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let the cats settle in first. Aim for a trip to the vet in about a month or whenever your cats have completely settled in. Some cats take awhile to settle in. 6 months isn't too old to be spayed or neutered.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For our cat, we took him to the vet a week after we got him. By then he had stopped hiding and was hanging out with us regularly. I would wait until they seem a bit more adjusted in your home and aren't hiding anymore.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age I wouldn't wait long to at least have her spayed! It's mating season and you'll be lucky if she isn't already pregnant (although if the only male she's been around is her brother he may still be too clueless. Can't count on that too long though). Personally I like to get it out of the way quickly, before they settle in, so all the stress is over with quickly, instead of letting them settle in for a month and then stressing them again. But then I have other cats so I want to get any new cats tested for FeLV/FIV before introductions.

Even if you generally think it would be best to wait a while, at their age I think you should get them in ASAP.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree; they should go to they vet ASAP. I think you may set them back further if you let them settle and then uproot them again. And you really may have kittens sooner rather than later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardencats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update: Called the vet this morning and the earliest I can bring them is May 10 (2 weeks) anyway so they will hopefully at least be out from their hiding spot by then!

thanks for all the helpful advice!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

update: Called the vet this morning and the earliest I can bring them is May 10 (2 weeks) anyway so they will hopefully at least be out from their hiding spot by then!

thanks for all the helpful advice!
Two weeks should be plenty for them to at least begin the adjustment to your home. 
 Nothing much you can do when vets are booked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardencats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: The worst has happened- this morning I was awoken to the unmistakable smell of cat spray :( Last night the male cat was in my room and this morning I found a small pile of poop and now my whole house (I rent a small 900sq ft trailer) smells. I cleaned but it's so strong! I'm so upset because I can't let this happen here again. My landlord is a good friend and I can't let this happen in his house again. I wish I could say I can wait until he is fixed and see if it helps but im afraid im going to have to call the previous owner and let her know I cant keep them :( I'm feeling terrible

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't panic! You can use an enzyme cleaner to clean up the spot and totally get rid of the smell. This shouldn't happen again once he's neutered and feeling comfortable. I don't think you need to get rid of them over this.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right, don't panic. The neutering should put an end to this issue. I remember feeling the same way you did when our cat started urinating out of the box within days of bringing her home. I was going crazy thinking that it would be a lifetime habit and that I didn't have the patience to deal with it. But she was just frightened of the new surroundings and panicked a little herself. She hasn't had any pee out of the box issues since that initial settle in period.

I would have called around to several vets to see if I could get an appointment sooner. Two weeks seems like a long time. When we first got our cat, I called a handful of vets to see who could get me in the fastest. But again, no need to panic.