When the Mormans come a'knockin'

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a polite strategy for when religious folks come to your door? I narrowly escaped a visit by two nice young Morman men today (no offence to Mormans). I had just gotten off work, my apartment is a mess, etc. Luckily they knocked while I was in the shower. I had seen them outside talking to someone else when I walked into my apartment. I never know what to say exactly. I don't want to be rude (I'm just too dang nice), but I don't really feel like having a conversation about faith with them or any religious group, Christian or not. I worked all day!

What do you all normally say to the visiting evangelicals?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't open the door. - that way I don't have to say anthing!

This strategey was started when I was single and living in NJ - I would NOT open the door for anyone that I was not expecting. Nope, no way, no how. Same applies in the 2 states I have lived since. I am just not going to endanger myself to be polite to a stranger knocking on my door..... I gues I have seen too many movies and news programs.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Mormon boys... yeah, right! My first BF was a Mormon, and most of my friends in high school were as well (Southern Alberta is to Canada what Utah is to the US
).

Now, I see Mormons here in Toronto on the streetcar/subway/bus and they always accost Asian people for some reason. Hmmm, why is that?
One day I was feeling particularly bold and at that time, was more well versed in the Bible (I was studying Judaism in depth at the time) and got into it with these 2 Mormon boys on the street. It was a good debate!

But since I'm guessing you aren't looking for religious banter, I would probably just ignore them if they came to my door. In fact, I don't answer my door unless I know someone is coming to visit. Unexpected visitors are not welcome unless they know my phone number.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also do what my friend does. He plays heavy metal music really loud when Jehovas Witnesses come around his house and they won't come up the sidewalk or near the door.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
I normally don't answer either. But one particular religious group, ( I won't say which group) will knock on your door for 20 minutes or so. Not just me, they go door to door. One time I had it, so I opened the door, put on my meanest (crazed) look and yelled GO AWAY! I'm sure I curled their socks, but that was just plain abuse on their part. I have not been bothered since, guess the word went out about the crazy woman.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'll stick with the "not answering the door because I'm otherwise occupied" routine. I really don't mind discussing religion with others, I just don't want strangers coming over to my house, especially strangers from a religion I've already been talked to about a zillion times. Plus it's dark outside and I'm a single lady here with my cats and rabbit.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never answer the door when I'm alone unless I am expecting somebody. If I run into someone trying to talk to me about their religion while I'm outside the apartment (in the walkway or something) I usually take their brochure and tell them I'll look over it. I don't want to be rude, but I'm not interested in getting into a conversation with them. I've read their materials in the past (mostly Jehovahs and Mormons), and it's not for me. I'll tell them that if they press me about it.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you should stick with not answering the door as well. That's what I do. Earlier this week someone rang my doorbell and I didn't know who it was when I looked out (the person could not see me). I was busy, so I didn't bother answering.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mess up your hair, partially unbutton or unzip some of your clothing, answer the door and say while panting, "I'm sorry I can't talk to you right now, you interrupted us while we were getting romantic!!"

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Mess up your hair, partially unbutton or unzip some of your clothing, answer the door and say while panting, "I'm sorry I can't talk to you right now, you interrupted us while we were getting romantic!!"
I said a polite way to send them on their way

savethekitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was once visited by Morman's just before Halloween. I was in full costume and makeup as a Disney Witch (Malificent). I had long black fingernails on, witchy makeup and a fake crow sitting on my shoulder. They ttok one look at me, turned around and quickly walked away. I never had another visit from them as long as I lived in that house (2 more years).

So my advice is look like a witch when you answer the door and they will get the idea that you are beyond saving

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i also just don't answer the door, that way i don't have to feel bad about telling them i'm not interested, if they catch me outside i will politely say i am a Christian or that i don't have the time, if they keep at it i just walk away.

love,

felicia

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL try living in Utah, they come a knockin' quite frequently.
I simply tell them I don't belong to their church, and that I have no plans of converting, wish them luck on their mission and bid them good day.
They'll usually ask if they may leave reading material.
Most are not as pushy as people think.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

LOL try living in Utah, they come a knockin' quite frequently.
I simply tell them I don't belong to their church, and that I have no plans of converting, wish them luck on their mission and bid them good day.
They'll usually ask if they may leave reading material.
Most are not as pushy as people think.
Arlyn, thank you for this. I am trying not to take any offense as this thread was not meant in a negative way, I do know this. However, Mormon people are kind, giving, and also astute. The young missionary men who do knock on your doors are most always under the age of 21, and are just doing a job that has been blessed to them by the LDS Church. Being a missionary is incredibly rigorous. The missions are for 2 years; you are with the same partner day in and day out -you must learn to get along because you are never separated; you may not have any days off; you must continually educate and write about people you have met along the way and the experiences that have taught you about the human spirit. You may not have romantic relations in any form. You may not engage in any behavior that would distract from bettering yourself intellectually. You are not paid a dime. You cannot accept gifts, or tips, or anything of a material nature. You rarely see your families and don't return home for about two years. The point of the mission is to better the intellect and human spirit with sacrafice, teaching, and a lot of listening.

Some of the younger men have more diplomacy than others....and they are also there to learn how to get about in the world, as well. Mormon people are kind, giving people. I will share with you that if you plainly state you are not interested in the LDS way and find the visit intrusive, I guarantee the LDS people will respectfully leave you alone. LDS is very different from Jehovah. But instead of conjuring up excuses - there's no need to - just say it straight and it will be ok.
Elizabeth

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, I don't think anything is wrong with them. I don't believe they are in some kind of cult or anything. I actually find it impressive that young men are willing to take, what- two years? out of their lives to devote themselves to their faith. Heck, if I was opposed to spreading faith I wouldn't be becoming a chaplain. I just don't feel like talking at night to strangers and I hate the idea of appearing rude or not giving someone a chance
I'm a rather passive person in that regard. One thing I've noticed about the young missionaries in this town is that they actually know their stuff. They can quote the Bible forwards and backwards. I think the thing that got me to respect them the most was when they eloquently and calmly refuted every claim made by a local fundamentalist "pastor" and actually stumped the guy.

winwin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Coaster, I LOVE your idea, and you might improve on it a bit by inviting them in to join you and your partner ! (You're on your own if they accept)

Sasha, could it be that you have just made a very accurate description of slavery ?

I am a target shooter and, consequently, to improve on as well as afford the sport, must reload my ammunition, and on pretty days have the garage door open on my shop where I am at the reloading bench, (where Tico LOVES to bat things off the bench into the floor) and when the evangelicals come calling, I enthuse, "I would just LOVE to hear about your church, and while you are talking, you can clean/prime these cartridge cases, . ." or "While you are telling me ALL about your church, would you mind cleaning this 8mm Mauser I shot yesterday ?"

You should have seen the face on a petite JW when I put an old German military rifle (unloaded, of course,) in her hands.

She quickly laid it on the hood of my mower, and she and her partner scooted out, back to their car.

I DO respect their sincerity, but am turned off by agressive proselytyzing from ANYONE on ANY subject.

There is room for us all in this sometimes sad world, so why do we seem to have to make each other miserable ? ?

Leonard.