When Should I Fix My Kitten

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! Hopefully this forum is in the right spot. Feel free to move it if need be. So my kitten Hobbes went to the vet today for some shots, and we asked when he should be fixed. He is 4 months old, and we have been reading online and hearing advice from friends that around 6-7 months is a good time for getting them fixed. The vet says however that he likes doing it around a year old so that the parts in question down there can help with maturity. But of course if behaviour becomes a problem then he would do it earlier than a year. I’m on the fence, but all I want is the best for my kitten. Does anybody experienced with this have any ideas when the best time is to get him fixed? Thanks in advance!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescues will do it when a cat is 2 pds. Waiting 8 more months is a long time. If you want to wait just be aware that his habits will change and do not let him outside

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I would do it as soon as he was able weight wise. My youngest who is less than 2 years old was fixed when he came to me and he was only 2.5 pounds. We don't know exactly how old he was, but I suspect 3-4 months? He came from a shelter, but I didn't seek him out. My sister fosters dogs and they reached out to her because he had lost weight at the Petsmart they had him at. She was out of town, so I took care of him and...well. The rest is history on that. Usually the cats I adopt are already fixed, but in my opinion I don't think there is any benefit to waiting.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat vet will neuter a cat at 4 months; shelters do this earlier as was stated. The theory of waiting longer is more applicable in large breed male dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that my cat is a Siberian, and he matures slower, so I think I should meet my vet in the middle and get it done around 8 months?

mkateb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had this same conversation with my vet, who it very good about sharing evidence behind recommendations. She said that with female kittens earlier is better because decreases risk of cancer, but with male kittens it is better to wait until 8-12 months because the extra time with testosterone helps the urethral development. This is important in male cats because the urethra is quite long and if urinary crystal's develop (not uncommon), they can cause obstruction which is an emergency. So less time with testosterone=less urethral development (urethra more narrow)=increased risk of obstruction.

Hope this helps you make your decision.