When should a kitten be given free access to a large house, Night and Day

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, in less than a week I should have 2 months kitten delivered to me, she was found in another city 2 weeks ago, motherless and hungry trying to get into a restaurant and being kicked out, a kind hearted sisters found her and brought her home, but their adult cat hate her guts it seems, so she fell into my hands, I already have an adult female cat, 1.5 years old, spayed, a tough cookie but she can accepts other cats given a proper introductions -she was fine with my sister's male fixed ragdoll who is twice her size, she did smack him around at first, but didn't use any claws-, I plan to keep the new kitten in her separate room for at least 5 days before allowing her to roam the house during the day -I need to see how my old cat will react to her before that of course-, and plan to lock her in her room during the 7-9 hours of our sleeping schedule, since I fear she will get hurt with no one around

My question is: the house is big, 3 stories, with open railings, many good hiding places that are safe but hard to reach, when should I allow her to roam free during the day? and during the night? if my old cat accepted her, should I lock her with the kitten or not?

is having another cat with her would keep her safer?

My mother is having a fit over locking the kitten alone for hours, if it's up to me I would rather lock her during nights for the next 3 months for my piece of mind, I will be afraid every morning of waking up and finding her hurt or worse, with no one around.

I have already kitten proofed the house since my old cat was a kitten except the railing bit, which I will be doing now but not sure it will help, I got some railing nets but I think it may encourage her to climb the net

Appreciate any help

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for taking in the kitten. Eight weeks is very young to be separated from her mother, so she will probably bond with your older cat. However, it is best to keep her separated at first, and do a proper introduction, as sometimes older cats can be afraid of kittens. Also, has the kitten been to a vet yet? If not, do keep her away from your older cat, till she's been checked out.

As for how long before letting her have full run of the home, that really depends on the home's layout. But probably go with the same timeline that you went with your older cat, when she was a kitten.

I understand your Mom worried about the kitten being alone too much, it really is the best thing, until a) you know your older cat has accepted her and b) you know she'll be safe without humans keeping a close eye on her.

Here's a few TCS articles on the topic that might have some additional tips for you.

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama just told you everything I would have, including the articles! I'd keep her locked up except when you, or your mother, can watch her, until she is well-settled and old enough not to do truly stupid things (such as get hung up in blind cords, etc). BTW...I LOVE that second photo. She looks like she is just yelling out, "OH HI! IT'S ME! I'M WUNNERFUL, aren't I?"