When recipes go bad....

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Those are not mincers - those are presses. There is a difference. Also you may find that most garlic presses (unless they are good quality and you pay more for them) will not do a terrific job of pressing ginger because of the firmness of the ginger. You risk breaking the press.

For ginger, instead of mincing, try grating it (most any grater will do).

Ours is metal so its worked even for ginger. I reccomend the one from ikea because its made out of metal.. The others we have had are made out of plastic.. and we payed more for them... I know its odd!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love ginger dressing too and made up my own recipe. Makotos got me hooked and I tried to make something similar. I changed it based on my tastes though. To make it more like the restaurant version you should probably delete the jalepeno and add a carrot and change the Balsamic vinegar to rice vinegar.

BTW, It is great on other things too. I love it on fresh tuna and my DF loves it on chicken.

Ginger Dressing

6" length fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
bunch scallions or green onions, chopped into 1 ½ inch lengths
4 or more cloves fresh garlic
1 jalapeno, seeds NOT removed, chopped into 3rds
½ C soy sauce
¼ C canola oil
¼ C Balsamic vinegar

To food processor add ginger, scallions, garlic and jalapeno. Process. Add liquids. Process.

Note: I do not have a food processor. I use a vegetable chopper and then transfer chopped ingredients into a blender and add the liquids. Blend on low.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Those are not mincers - those are presses. There is a difference. Also you may find that most garlic presses (unless they are good quality and you pay more for them) will not do a terrific job of pressing ginger because of the firmness of the ginger. You risk breaking the press.

For ginger, instead of mincing, try grating it (most any grater will do).
And you don't even have to peel it! Mmm, fresh ginger.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't cook with a lot of ginger so I'm not sure if it's the same or not, but minced garlic and pressed garlic will affect the end result of the recipe in different ways. Depending on the dish I'm making, I'll use either minced or pressed, depending on what outcome I'm hoping for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't cook with a lot of ginger so I'm not sure if it's the same or not, but minced garlic and pressed garlic will affect the end result of the recipe in different ways. Depending on the dish I'm making, I'll use either minced or pressed, depending on what outcome I'm hoping for.
I would think minced would be stronger? Should I use less then?