When our kitties first stole our hearts.... share your favorite stories!

jfed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stolen merchandise: Princess Kikipies

When my sister was a rebellious teenager, her and her friends stole a precious little calico kitten from a pet store! She snuck her into our house and hid this kitten in her bedroom. Well, she didn't stay a secret for more than two nights because one morning, my sister's door was left open and she wandered upstairs and startled my father half to death. It didn't take him long to figure out who was responsible for this adorable kitten, and after much begging and pleading from his daughters, he reluctantly agreed to keep her. 

Now, 15 years later Kiki is my dad's soul mate and he calls her Princess Kikipies! I have NEVER seen a cat love a person more than Kiki loves my dad. My parents only found out recently how my sister actually got her....lol! Only a year ago, she had a bit too much to drink at dinner and spilled the beans.

The Browncat came back the very next day

A couple years after Kiki, my teenage-self  was then responsible for bringing home a matted, starving, soaking wet, long-haired, orange tabby! The city was flooding that day due to non-stop torrential downpours and I spotted him underneath my neighbors car. Much to my dad's dismay (yet again), I coaxed this kitty out and brought him into my room to warm him up, feed him, and cut off all his hair mats. The next morning he cried at the door and my dad told me to let him back out because he could have somewhere to be. I watched him disappear from our cul-de-sac, heartbroken and praying that he'd find his way back home.

Well, low and behold... that very evening, guess who was back on our doorstep? I let him back into my room, and this very pattern continued for the next month or so. I took the screen out of my bedroom window so he would always have a place to come back to, and he did... every night he would crawl into bed with me. My dad did NOT want another cat! So he called around to local shelters, the SPCA, and made me put up found posters throughout the neighborhood; trying to get rid of "that damn brown cat" as he would refer to him. Nobody claimed him, and with pressure from both my mother and I, my dad finally agreed to keep him (we knew he would... ). The name Browncat stuck! And for the next 10 years, Browncat and I were inseparable until I moved away for university. He was my best little boyfriend and I loved him with everything I had!

Just last December we lost him to squamous cell carcinoma, he was only 11 years old but the cancer took over so rapidly. Within two months of the diagnosis, my parents had to make a humane decision. I was fortunate enough to make it back home in November to see him one last time. Kissing him goodbye before I had to leave was devastating, knowing that I would not ever see him or hold him again. Just writing this story brings me to tears.... Browncat was euthanized from the comfort of our home while laying in my mother's lap. I will never get over the loss of him.

Now, I've got myself a rescue  from the pound who was found as a stray (Gus)... I don't know the beginning of his story but that's ok... I know the middle and the end, and it's guaranteed to have lots of kisses, love, full bellies, and warm cuddles! 

My friends always joke that if they could come back in another life, they would want to come back as a cat that belongs to someone in my family. We love and spoil the crap out of our animals,  and most importantly,  we keep our promises of forever to them!