When is the first day of school where you are?

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I'm in the same board as a few of the people who have posted, including the OP....we go back on September 8th.

I haven't looked at what the calendars in other boards look like, but our board just plucked 2 PD days that are usually in the middle of the year and put them this week. So teachers in our board are required to be at school and will be doing professional development (or should be, at least) Wednesday and Thursday...and that goes right off the number of PD days that are usually required throughout the year. So, the difference in ending times should not be too great, I don't think.

I always found it odd that some places in the US start back at school in August? Is there a particular reason for that (ie. weather)?
Well yes and no. I know here in the Central Valley they start school earlier, and get out first week of June, because it gets hot here during that time...or at least I am told that is why they start early. Plus in High school we had semesters, not quarter systems, so you had to start a little early just so the semesters were about equal, same with my university we are on semester. UC colleges start later because they are on a quarter system. Not to sure if I am making any sense!!