When Is Playing Too Aggressive? Confused.

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have two adorable BSH cats called Percy and Barnaby (they're on Instagram @percyandbarn, hehe...). They are half-brothers and are about three to four months apart in age. Percy is the elder of the two. They are good friends generally and they have no problem being around each other. They eat next to each other, for example, and occasionally groom each other. They also sleep fairly close to each other, sometimes snuggling up. Percy, however, likes to roughhouse and when he does, Barnaby will often start squealing and run away. Percy will sometimes then chase him. I presume this is because Percy is either hurting or scaring Barnaby. But the moment I put them in separate rooms, they're playing with each other under the door and calling to each other. I'm confused and don't know if it's something I should be worried about or what I should do about it...!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is actually a pretty simple test. If there are no wounds, let the less enthusiastic cat be your guide. If he comes right back after the rough play and seems to generally like the other cat, you have zero problem. If he hides a chunk of the day away, actively avoids and/or hisses, growls, swats at the other cat outside of rough play, then you have an issue.

This is just like a big brother little brother situation. At times, big brother is a bit of a jerk with indian sunburns and what not. The difference is that with cats (unlike human brothers), it is much harder for a human parent to communicate the message about what is excessive, and the message could be easily misunderstood as "don't play together". So the best thing to do is let them be, only intervening if truly necessary.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s really helpful, thanks. The less enthusiastic one will typically run away but as soon as rough play is over they’re around each other and just hanging out. Sometimes, the less enthusiastic one initiates it too. He just gets more than he bargained for a lot of the time!

Sounds like it’s not anything to worry about then.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing is only too aggressive if there is bloodshed or if one cat is hiding in fear, not eating, using the litterbox, etc because they are too terrified of the other. Otherwise let them be.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. Super common situation. Like the big brother little brother scenario, its not a perfect relationship, but they do get value out of it and its best to leave them to it.

Last edited: