When is my cat going to give birth??

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Athena is pregnant. She is an outdoor cat and she has a sister named Tanka (they aren't actually from the same litter they grew up together though.) Athena is showing and her nipples are pink and swollen but no milk in leaking or comes out when you squeeze them. I'm not sure how far along she is because she is always outside. I can feel the kittens moving a lot in her belly and you can see it. She has a birthing box outside under our roof of our porch with a bed and towels in it. She is always grooming herself and just lays around all say and sleeps but she won't go in her box I'm not sure why? He eats a ton. I think she might still be active though because the other morning when I came to check on her she had caught a rat or mole of some type. Also when I rub her bully because she sometimes rolls over for me to she grabs my arm and starts licking it??Any thoughts of when she might give birth I will put some pics. Are any of these signs?  This is her its kind of hard to tell but she's pretty big belly.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring her inside from now until after the kittens are weaned? It's really not safe for mom and babies outside.

Are you feeding mom in addition to what she catches?

Would you like help finding a low cost spay clinic for your cats after this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I have a spay clinic. I am feeding her milk daily along with occasional tuna and of course her dry food she has accesses to 24/7. She hasn't had the babies yet. I'm only 13 and my mom won't allow cats in the house but we have a insulated garage that she is allowed in should I put her box there? Are anything I wrote signs of her giving birth soon?

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also my cats nipples seem very dry and skin is sorta peelly is there something I can put on them to help her before the kittens get here?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also my cats nipples seem very dry and skin is sorta peelly is there something I can put on them to help her before the kittens get here?
You can put olive oil on her nipples. Yes, put mom in the insulated garage. Don't let her out until she is spayed. She can get pregnant again within a week of delivery and without going into heat.

Can you go ahead and get her sister spayed now? Otherwise you are going to have more kittens very soon.

For diet, stop feeding milk. Cats can't digest cow milk. Tuna is ok as an occasional treat but not a meal. Dry food all the time is great, especially while she's pregnant and nursing. Can you feed meals of wet cat food as well? She really needs extra nutrition right now.

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I didn't know that they couldn't digest cow milk thank you for telling me! I will get her sis spayed ASAP I will get her wet cat food also. The one thing is she doesn't like to be any where but on our back porch our garage is detached from the house. So should I just lock her in the garage with a litter box so that she can maybe nest in there or should I just move her box in there and show her that and hope she goes in there. Maybe if I move her food in there to she will go?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I didn't know that they couldn't digest cow milk thank you for telling me! I will get her sis spayed ASAP I will get her wet cat food also. The one thing is she doesn't like to be any where but on our back porch our garage is detached from the house. So should I just lock her in the garage with a litter box so that she can maybe nest in there or should I just move her box in there and show her that and hope she goes in there. Maybe if I move her food in there to she will go?
I would move everything into the garage and let her get settled.

When do you think you can have her sister fixed?

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I will move everything to the garage today! Im not sure when I can get her sis fixed why? I will have to call the place.

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on the pics when do you think she is due if I can see and feel the kittens moving?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I will move everything to the garage today! Im not sure when I can get her sis fixed why? I will have to call the place.
It is kitten season. She will be pregnant any day now. She really needs to be kept inside or spayed asap. Please don't delay.

Delivery is usually 2-3 weeks after you can feel the kittens moving.

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will keep them both in the garage Im going to make an appointment today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks to be towards the last couple weeks of her pregnancy, but it's hard to say for sure.

Spaying her sister now is excellent. Wet cat food is important too.

Is it a comfortable temperature in the garage? Not too hot or too cold? Is there a window for light?

Thank you for caring for these gals! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The temp in the garage is more towards the fairly cold side. I think i'm going to keep her on the back deck because she has a weather proof box and towels when the babies are born i will also put some little heating pads. But the back deck is 30 feet off the ground with no ground accesses. So no predators can get up there. There is a little roof that there box is under also. If there is a super bad storm or something once she has the kittens i will of course bring her in the house with her box. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The temp in the garage is more towards the fairly cold side. I think i'm going to keep her on the back deck because she has a weather proof box and towels when the babies are born i will also put some little heating pads. But the back deck is 30 feet off the ground with no ground accesses. So no predators can get up there. There is a little roof that there box is under also. If there is a super bad storm or something once she has the kittens i will of course bring her in the house with her box. 
Can she get down? Can other cats get up there?

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She can get down because Ive taught her how to. Other cats can get up there but they don't like to because we are always there and they feel vulnerable because they cant get down very fast. They normally just sit under the deck.  Then when my cat is in heat she goes down to meet with the other cats.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can get down because Ive taught her how to. Other cats can get up there but they don't like to because we are always there and they feel vulnerable because they cant get down very fast. They normally just sit under the deck.  Then when my cat is in heat she goes down to meet with the other cats.
Can you prevent her from getting down and getting pregnant again? Cats can get pregnant within a week of delivery.

Did you have any luck calling the clinic today?

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got in contact with the clinic and we are getting her spayed immediately after the birth. Im blocking her passage for her way down and giving her a litter box up there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got in contact with the clinic and we are getting her spayed immediately after the birth. Im blocking her passage for her way down and giving her a litter box up there.
You do not want to spay mom immediately after the birth. Mom should be spayed 8 weeks after delivery. Her kittens need her. Her sister can be spayed right away, though. What about her?

athenathecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya sorry I didn't clarify thats who I was talking about was her sister. The mom will be blocked from getting down.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When is the clinic able to spay her sister so she does not get pregnant?

Mom cannot be spayed until 8 weeks after she has the kittens, as Talking Peanut said. The kittens can be spayed at 8 weeks also.