When is Chumley's GOTCHA day?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put up a poll, because if it's May 6, we missed it!
But we have three dates to choose from - and Gary and I really aren't sure which one to pick!

May 6? The day he was trapped and neutered (in 2010). We didn't release him because he was so aggressive to the other ferals he ran them all off, and clearly very sick and in need of care. We brought him back here and put him in a rented trailer next to us so we could care for him until the foster network would be able to take him.

June 14? We received notice on the 13th that the foster network had space. We took him to the vet for his FeLV/FIV test and his distemper vaccination. We found out he was FIV+ and the foster network couldn't take him. We brought him home.

July 17? While he was in the trailer, we started scent swapping immediately with our kitties in the RV. We did try to find him a home, and listed him on petfinder, but we were also pretty sure he was going to be ours. On June 26, we began bringing him over here for short periods of time so he could get used to the space and slowly meet the other kitties...and on July 17, he never went "home" to the trailer. He was here full time.

So...

May 6, the day he was trapped and never released?
June 14, the day he came "home" - though not to the RV? or
July 17, the day he moved into the RV full time?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say July 17, because that is when he officially became YOUR boy. The June 14 date it was still up in the air about where he would be going, foster or elsewhere? Then he came up positive so you tried to find him a home between June 14 and July 17 knowing that would be unlikely and most likely he would be yours. Officially July 17

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't voted yet, because I haven't decided.
Technically, he became "ours" sometime between June 14 and July 17.
I suspect it was a few days after the June 14th date.
But that's why I haven't voted... I'm not sure which one best represents when we made the commitment to him.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I haven't voted yet, because I haven't decided.
Technically, he became "ours" sometime between June 14 and July 17.
I suspect it was a few days after the June 14th date.
But that's why I haven't voted... I'm not sure which one best represents when we made the commitment to him.
Well, then! You at least haven't missed his special day

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
June 14th!!! Admit it, once you found out there was no place for him in foster care, it was already settled in your mind; "I know right where you belong, lil' guy!"

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted May 6th, isn't that literally the time when you could have said 'gotcha!' ?

(And my poor Casper went to the bridge that day.. So another kitty found his new home. Kinda seems like some universal balance thing. Yes, I'm insane.)

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I like all the ideas everyone has mentioned about all 3 dates being THE day, but I voted for July 17.

That said, why don't you just spend the next few months celebrating Chumley??

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

That said, why don't you just spend the next few months celebrating Chumley??
I have to agree with that
I also agree with most other people about July 17th, that is the day that he came into your home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

June 14th!!! Admit it, once you found out there was no place for him in foster care, it was already settled in your mind; "I know right where you belong, lil' guy!"
I really am leaning this way! Gary wants me to go look up the thread where I was posting about his progress and see when we first brought him over here (but we knew we were going to before then, so I'm not sure how important that is.
).

Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

I voted May 6th, isn't that literally the time when you could have said 'gotcha!' ?

(And my poor Casper went to the bridge that day.. So another kitty found his new home. Kinda seems like some universal balance thing. Yes, I'm insane.)
I want to make it May 6th just because of that!
(Yes, I'm insane too, and I like a balanced universe!
).

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted June 14 so he can have birthday treats and attention asap! However, July 17 is more emotional

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always remember the day when I first spot them, far longer than the day when they actually came into my home. That is the actual day they came into your life, regardless of any decision you may or may not have made that day.

Just my humble opinion. I voted for May 6.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

This!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know - but many people say that cats actually choose us - so, I'd pick the earliest date he actually agreed to receive your form of love - probably in giving him food.

With Gray - I remember seeing him around the house - especially when I saw him on the roof of the neighboring house trying to capture a pigeon for food - how he got up there is still making me scratch my head when I think about it.

The next time I saw him was when he was limping across our back patio - maybe from the jump from the roof ?? - it was then I knew I had to feed him. That was the day he captured my heart - Gray's "GOTCHA" day for us.

I voted May 6 because it was the earliest date.