when does convenia wear off?

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, it's Baytril should only be used in young animals as a last resort. Baytril has been known to interfere with bone development.

Glad to hear you got some answers! Good luck!

Okie

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Okie89

Actually, it's Baytril should only be used in young animals as a last resort. Baytril has been known to interfere with bone development.
While it's true that Baytril is contraindicated in young cats (it's actually damage to the cartilage in their joints, leading to swollen joints and lameness, not damage to bones), I stand by my comment that Baytril (IV particularly) should only be used as a last-resort antibiotic in senior cats because as per the link I had provided, senior cats are more sensitive to Baytril and even a small dose can cause negative vision changes (it can be much more toxic to the retinas of older cats) (written by a Vet); plus, senior cats are more inclined to have impaired kidney function which can thereby increase the risk of toxic levels of Baytril due to the kidney's reduced ability to excrete the drug from the body.

http://www.pettogethers.com/PowerRep...ndYourCat.aspx

jeff jordan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post however I just took my 12 year old cat in for wound care and he was given shot of covenia and next morning he was totally blind. Took him back to the vet and they told us he must have high blood pressure or something else. We have pictures of the cats eyes before and after and now all you can see is a dilated gray eye with no color. Vet said both retinas are detached and more tests need to be done but the cat is now totally blind. Before pictures show perfectly normal eyes and next morning show abnormal eyes. Vet took blood pressure a week later and gave another covenia shot. Were concerned because we think our cat is now permanently blind.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry, but I would tell the vet no more convenia and then take her to a new vet for a second opinion!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. :heart3: I would find a feline or small animal opthamologist. :nod: I'll see if I can find the other thread. There was a kitty whose vision was coming and going. It was related to her blood pressure and detached retinas. Treatment of her blood pressure restored her vision, though the opthamologist worked in conjunction with the cardiologist. :nod:

Convenia can have some nasty side effects. I don't know if this is one of them. Given she's 12, it could be she has developed a problem with her heart/blood pressure (it wouldn't be unusual), and the stress of the incident/vet visit, etc. might be what triggered a highlight of the problem.

Let me see if I can find that thread for you....

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Jeff! Welcome to TCS!
I'm sorry it's under these conditions.

Blindness is not one of the side effects of convenia, according to Dr. Pierson's CatInfo.org "Convenia: Worth the Risk?" article. However, there appear to be several other side effects, nasty enough for me to skip the Convenia if I could. According to Dr. Pierson, the antibiotic stays in the system for over two months, and shouldn't be given any more frequently than two weeks apart.

I think I would do as already suggested, and get your kitty back in for a second opinion ASAP.

I'm sending many thoughts of healing to you and your kitty, Jeff.

AC

anniebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if your cats eyes are still dilated, wide eyed, then it would be the anaesthetic most likely.  The last time might cat had an anaesthetic he was 'profoundly' seated for days and hallucinating because of the drugs they used.  It would be best to get the vet to have another look but otherwise if he seems fine in himself then it may be that he is just taking a bit longer to recover.  My cat has just finished a course of long lasting convenia and the vet said it last about 3 weeks in his system although they normally say it lasts for 2 weeks.  Hope your kitty is soon back to health.

anniebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have started my persian on baytril today for respiratory infection, i give him one injection a day which the vet prepared for me as he is terrible at pretending to swallow a tablet and then i find them all around the house days later.  Is baytril as an injection OK?  Thanks for any advice.  He has had it in the past for a urine infection and it worked wonders where all the other antibiotics failed but he was a lot younger then and is now nearly 15 years old.