When Does A Cat Grow Up From Kitty To Adult?

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When does a kitten become an adult, and what behavior-related changes happen when kitten grows up?

I'm asking because my calico, who is 8 months old this week, hasn't been as active as before (I've had her for two months). Our play sessions are very short nowadays because she either has no interest in the toys I present, or loses interest fast. For example, she used to run towards and jump up to a feathered want toy for many rounds before lying down, now she may bat it around a couple of times if it's near her nose, but wouldn't chase after it when I drag it around the room or jump up to catch it.

She still enjoys batting and chasing around crumpled up paper when she feels like it but won't play with them for as long as she used to.

She's not totally inactive though. In short bursts each day she'll run from one end of the room all the way to the other end really fast, then she's done in a couple of runs. (She's always done this.)

One of the observable signs of many potential illnesses is lethargy. I don't know if she's lethargic or if she's simply growing out of crazy kittenhood.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on a lot of factors. Is she spayed? If not, she may be about to go into heat which is making her preoccupied. Most cats are pretty active at her age, but she may be losing some of the baby playfulness. Cats usually don't hit full social maturity until about 3 years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Based on the age calculator, she's a teenager now, so she still should be active.

But you are right that she is more like me in that I'm not very active at home haha.

Should I try to give her new toys and think of ways to keep her active and run around more often?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some that say that kittens slow down for a bit during growth spurts, as it takes a lot of energy to grow and they nap a bit more during these times.

I think there are a few growth spurts a kitten/ young cat can go through, and it varies from cat to cat and from breed to breed.

So, personally, I would say... hold on to your hat as her teenage years are just gettin' started!

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the cats that mature at 3 years of age... are you supposed to feed kitten food for 3 years too?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they say "lethargic" as it relates to something being wrong. What they mean is, is your cat acting like you act when you have the flu. Basically just laying around, doing absolutely nothing, not eating, not drinking, not doing anything.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, thanks for the clarification, basscat basscat . My kitty is eating and sleeping normal, just less active.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In that case, you're probably fine. Just a "phase," perhaps, as was mentioned, a growth-spurt, where all her energy is going to getting bigger. LOL, when my boys were teenagers, they'd lie around for several days, and then I'd notice that they were taller.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When does a kitten become an adult, and what behavior-related changes happen when kitten grows up?

I'm asking because my calico, who is 8 months old this week, hasn't been as active as before (I've had her for two months). Our play sessions are very short nowadays because she either has no interest in the toys I present, or loses interest fast. For example, she used to run towards and jump up to a feathered want toy for many rounds before lying down, now she may bat it around a couple of times if it's near her nose, but wouldn't chase after it when I drag it around the room or jump up to catch it.

She still enjoys batting and chasing around crumpled up paper when she feels like it but won't play with them for as long as she used to.

She's not totally inactive though. In short bursts each day she'll run from one end of the room all the way to the other end really fast, then she's done in a couple of runs. (She's always done this.)

One of the observable signs of many potential illnesses is lethargy. I don't know if she's lethargic or if she's simply growing out of crazy kittenhood.
Sounds like my cat Peaches. She used to love wand toys but not anymore. Now she likes to chase after small toys I throw then lands in the shipping trash. Loves it! She is 6 yrs

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In that case, you're probably fine. Just a "phase," perhaps, as was mentioned, a growth-spurt, where all her energy is going to getting bigger. LOL, when my boys were teenagers, they'd lie around for several days, and then I'd notice that they were taller.
Thanks for your response. How many growth spurts do they have and when does it end?