When do you turn on your Air Conditioner?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No air conditioner - it's FREEZING living by the Pacific Ocean. We're lucky if we have three days in the summer above 21 C (70 F). Usually, a summer day is about 15 - 18 C here (60 - 65 F).

BRRRR.

We can have a fire in the fireplace any night of the year, and use flannel sheets and down comforters all year around! BRRRRR!

I don't turn the heat on in the summer out of principle! We just put another layer on and some warm socks. I figure when I go through pre-menopause and have hot flashes, I'll be comfortable.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My goal this year is to not turn on my air at all
I have ceiling fans and box fans and oscillating fans at the ready, but I figure if it gets in the 90s for a stretch, I may have to break down and turn it on
I'm in the same boat as Leighann, I live in a tin box with a tar roof, but I have no problem leaving my windows open when I'm not here... there's nothing for them to take really, they'd probably run screaming when a crazy dog and at least 6 cats descended on them
but I really need to keep my lectric bill as low as possible this year, but if I can't dry off from my shower, then that could be a problem

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We started last month. Any day over 76 or very humid days the A/C is on. Right now it's barely 60 out side and it's 77 in the apartment. The joys of living on the top floor.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just a couple of miles form the ocean so I don't need it too often - tho last summer it was really hot and humid. blech! I've only had to run it on once so far this year and that was at night - that is usually the only time I care - so I can sleep.

I guess it has to get to above 80 for me to really care to turn it on - otherwise fans are fine with me.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I would love to have AC! Here in Portland it doesn't often get hot enough that AC is an absolute must. Last summer, we had a couple of weeks where it would not get out of the 90s. I would have done anything for AC then!

I live in a studio on the 3rd floor with only 3 south facing windows - no cross current unless I open the door to the hallway where the neighbors can see inside. Don't want to do that
During those weeks, Seb often slept under the cast iron tub on the tiled bathroom floor. Smart kitty! I just stretched out and sprayed myself with water with box fans going on high and didn't get much sleep. I even covered Seb with a wet towel at night and he didn't mind. Poor guy was cookin. I hope this summer is cooler. I hate heat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Living in florida, mines almost always on
I would too! But living in MN... the weather is ALWAYS changing! Luckily we haven't had our heat on in about 2 months (YAY!!) & I love it, our electric bill has been super low, and I just hate having to turn on the AC, cuz that just means higher bills!

Luckily it cooled off drastically tonight, so I'll open the windows and patio door for awhile to get some cool air in here before we head to bed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We haven't turned it on yet. Mostly cuz dad's a tightwad. He actually got himself a pair of earplugs from the shop he was tired of me whining "it's so hot" "can we turn the air on?"

It's been up to 88 for a high here, but still...windows open. I think the extreme million mile an hour winds we've been having helped keep the house cool(ish).

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Umm we don't have one.
My house is notorious for sometimes being hotter inside than it is outside.

Our house is currently equipped with tons of fans, including ancient ones from Sears with that 1970's look. We wouldn't be able to get one now anyway because my dad's work is on strike.

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about the weather being hot one day and cold the next, I have had my heat off for about a month now but put it back on the other night cause it was so cold, as far as the air conditioner I don't have it on much, most days my house is cool enough, even when it is hot enough for it I only have it on until the sun goes down cause then it is too cold, which reminds me of a quote I read once.....

August is the month that you wear the sweater
to ward of the cold from the air conditioner
that you have on because it is August.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we bought another box fan (our old one only worked in low) so we've only been turning on the AC if it's in the mid to upper 80s or gets in the low 80s in our apartment. we have enough fans to get the air moving through our apartment pretty good. we don't pay for heat, but the AC we pay for. and i'm not looking forward to those bills. so we're postponing it as long as possible. our AC is also set at 78* i don't like to be cold in the summer.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate being hot!!!
Our weather has been crazy here too Kenz. It was up to like high 80's last week and I kicked it on!! But now the last few days have been nice so I shut it off!
Got my windows opened back up, which I looove!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom is hot natured so she has had her window unit on most of the month. I will probably turn the other unit on when it gets too hot to sleep comfortably.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
memphis humidity and heat is a nightmare!!!! we turn our ac on when it starts to really warm up outside.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have stuck it out so far by useing some fans and opening windows and keeping it as cool as we can but if we get hit with a block of super hot. We will put in the air. We can usually be miserable and tough it out. But we wont let the critters.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I turn the one in my room on almot every night. I avoid turning it on during the day and turning the living room one on almost always....but I have to sleep in a meat locker! But that's ok...it has an energy-saver function where it self-regulates its little self and turns on and off. I keep it on low AND energy saver most of the time.