when do you put them in a birthing cage?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never caged any of my mamas. I just give them free run of a spare room. I set up a chest of drawers by removing the next-to-last drawer and lining the bottom drawer with tightly folded towels. If Mom is feral I use a white towel (white because it's light permeable) as a curtain over the opening so she has a private hiding place and can feel secure there.

It's worked great for every mama who has used it. They still have free run of the room for their food, litterbox, and even toys if they want a break from the kittens.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only time my mommas are caged is about 2 weeks before delivery till 5 weeks after delivery. When the kittens turn 3 weeks old we bring them out for short amounts of time, in a 3 ft by 3 ft pen, so they can get used to their surroundings and be more socialized with everyone and everything. Then the kittens are moved to a bigger play area(size of small bedroom, it is actually my entry way) as they are beginning to run around and play more. Then at 10 weeks/or they learn to jump the gate, they get free roam of the house and by then everyone is used to everyone and things are great. Then at 12 weeks they are off to their new homes where I know they will be loved forever.