When do you let mom back out into the house?

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loudmouth gets let out (of the bedroom and into the rest of the house) for about 10 minutes every few hours except when I'm at work or when I'm asleep and can't observe everyone. SHe'll get more time out as the kittens get older. This is her second litter with me (determined it will be her last!) so I know how Prissy reacts. Loudmouth has no issue with being kept inside the room as long as she gets a few minutes of rest time from the new borns. She's already asking to be let outside tho, and that's really not going to happen. I just pull up the blinds so she can sit in the window. Once the kittens get older and less vulnerable to drafts I'll maybe even crack it a little, but not enough for more than a paw to fit thru.

Her last litter is still hanging around but now that the new litter is born, Mom finally decided it was time to wean her last litter (18 weeks is just a little late in my opinion tho
).

Prissy on the other hand is having a fit trying to get into the spare room where the kittens are. Every time they start crying, she's at that door, on her side with her paws beneath it and trying to pull it open. I don't think she's figured out it's a "push" door. She's going to be a kitten thief again, I think. At least she does it to care for them tho, and not to hurt them. That can be a concern with males OR females, whether neutered or not. In fact, a fertile female cat killed 2 litters of kittens at my in-laws last year just because she wanted HER litter to have the best chance. SO if you let your mama out, make sure everyone is being watched and that those babies are locked up tight.

About where she's putting them: Loudmouth moves her kittens every few days. At least once a week they'll be in a new place. As long as they're not causing a problem and aren't in danger it's fine, but it sounds like she's gotting them in a stumble zone. Try puttin a basket or box or something behind the box where she has them. Just something to contain them. Maybe you can corral them without actually moving the location, and everyone will be happy. One thing that I found that worked fabulously when Loudmouth wanted her kittens beneath my computer desk was a simple laundry basket. Hey, it worked for the 4 days she had to have them there. Hope you solve this conundrum soon!