When Do You Know To Supplement The Milk?

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.... I've been looking to this Forum throughout my newly adopted Cat's pregnancy. She just had 6 kittens yesterday morning, July 11th. She is young, maybe one year old and up until yesterday, she was very "Bite-y.... scratch-y" to me.... So I've been concerned about the babies when they come. Her whelping box is right beside the bed in the spare bedroom where I've been sleeping. When she went into labor... she was all lovey dovey to me... and to the babies. This morning I saw her bite two of the babies in the head.... it looked like she was saying "Get out of my face" more so than "I want to kill you"..... but still.... they aren't even 2 days old.... She seems to feel the need to stay in there with them even when they are asleep...... and when I come around... she wakes them up.... licking them..... she did take a break this afternoon.... coming into the kitchen with me..... Now she doesn't seem to want to leave the box...... All the kittens are alive and well..... and I've noticed... they don't hang around her face anymore......
My question is..... because she is so young..... would it be beneficial if I started supplementing the feeding by sitting there beside the box and feeding some KMR? Maybe giving her a little break? Or would that be confusing to the kittens digestive systems?

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should weigh the kittens daily to make sure they are all gaining. You will easily be able to see if anyone is struggling if they don't gain 6-10g, minimum, per day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new at this.... but I did weigh them. I don't know if this is too early to tell..... but they were born and got home at 7am July 11.... and I weighed them.... and weighed them again today, July 12 at 11 am. They all gained.... but only 3 gained 6-9 oz.... the low 3 were .4, .4, and .5. I think the Mom is a good Mom..... she hangs in there.... but I think she might get tired or freaked out.......

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are only one day old and have already gained well.

Give it another couple of days and keep weighing daily.

Not only will mom settle down more over the next 48 hours, but her milk will come in better and the kittens should gain more.

I would not supplement right now unless a kitten is losing weight. Mom will feel more rested from delivery in a day or two.

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I think you are right... and I think me coming into her room is just making her more nervous at this point.....
I'm trying to give her the space she needs.... And I know that I'm a nervous nelly about these things...... she can feel my energy..... I really feel like I just had Grand-kittens! So I will calm down..... and weigh them tomorrow..... and all will be good! Thanks so much! (Augh!). I'm a crazy cat lady!

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are the little guys we are talking about......

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just make sure mom has plenty of wet and dry food, water, and her litter box in the room and she'll likely be just fine. :)

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mama cats do surprisingly well despite age usually and often times what we perceive as tough is just her teaching manners lol.
Keep weighing everyday around the same time and write down the weights for each kitten. As long as everyone is gaining you're usually okay to not supplement. Just watch to make sure nobody is losing or staying the same! You and mama are doing great!

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding her Royal Canin kitten food... wet and dry...... She does come out of her room sometimes and eats my other cats food..... Purina Cat Chow..... does it really matter? Because the Royal Canin is so much more expensive.... but maybe now it's more important since the babies are here!? Some people on the thread don't approve of Royal Canin.... but what is the best food?

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama cats do surprisingly well despite age usually and often times what we perceive as tough is just her teaching manners lol.
Keep weighing everyday around the same time and write down the weights for each kitten. As long as everyone is gaining you're usually okay to not supplement. Just watch to make sure nobody is losing or staying the same! You and mama are doing great!
Thanks Alpha Cat! Thanks for your affirmation! This is all new to me, and I feel like an idiot...... but this forum has helped me so much..... Thank you thank you thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Royal Canin is fine. It's also okay if mama kitty nibbles your other cats' food. You are doing a good job! :)

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.... but I've also seen where people say to give a Cat Mom KMR..... so I've bought canned KMR and powder KMR.... just in case...... but when do they need that? Do they need that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mom should have a dish of KMR a day. The powdered is best. Mom needs the calcium while nursing.

You can return the pre-mixed that comes in the can. It tends to upset their tummies because it is formulated differently.

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! I'm so glad you told me that! Nobody told me that! Thank you soooooo much! Years ago I helped feed some baby squirells for our local Wildlife person...... and she told me to only feed the powdered KMR.... not the canned..... and I never knew why....... and now..... I see there is a reason...... Awesome! Thanks so much! I love this site! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, so squirrels manage kitten KMR, the powdered version? Good to know. :)
And this your experience of baby squirrels should be helpsome here too.

I know they alike cats manage goats milk. Which may become an alternative to you too. Either as supplement for momma, or as supplement for babies.
Raw goats milk may be pricey, but the goats milk sold in common shops is cheaper than KMR. Even if it costs 2,5x that of common cow milk.

And yeah, dont use cow milk! Although a little mild cheese or youghurt is OK.

As the kittens grows and take more and more milk, you will need to give momma extra calcium. KMR, goats milk, youghurt and cheese are the easiest sources. Egg shells from boiled eggs, crushed into fine powder, is yet another potent source. Egg shells are made of almost pure calcium.

Prunie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for this info!!! I'm shocked that the vet's don't mention this stuff. I know a place here who sells Goats milk.... it's a farm that sells all their stuff..... and the egg shells!!!!! I'm doing that one too! Never would I have imagined..... Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. :)