When do you enter 'cat lady' or in my case 'cat man' territory?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most I've had at one time is 3. I've had two and a big dog, then one cat and now I have two again.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most I've had at one time is 6 cats too.

In terms of animals I've had 6 cats; 5 cats 1 horse; gradually down to 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 horse; 2 dogs 2 cats; 2 dogs, 3 cats(one of which is semi feral), 2 horses etc. 5 or 6 animals total seems average for this house. Currently it's 2 indoor cats, 1 semi feral cat, 2 dogs, 1 pony. I guess you'd call me a crazy animal lady :lol3:

And yes, crazy cat lady means not moving because that cat's asleep on me, not getting into bed for fear of disturbing a cat, getting up halfway through a meal because the cat is hungry...you get the picture ;)

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most I've had at one time is 6 cats too.

In terms of animals I've had 6 cats; 5 cats 1 horse; gradually down to 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 horse; 2 dogs 2 cats; 2 dogs, 3 cats(one of which is semi feral), 2 horses etc. 5 or 6 animals total seems average for this house. Currently it's 2 indoor cats, 1 semi feral cat, 2 dogs, 1 pony. I guess you'd call me a crazy animal lady :lol3:

And yes, crazy cat lady means not

moving because that cat's asleep on me, not getting into bed for fear of disturbing a cat, getting up halfway through a meal because the cat is hungry...you get the picture ;)
and having one on your knee when you're in the toilet! My late gentle did that.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and having one on your knee when you're in the toilet! My late gentle did that.
Its official then..[emoji]128513[/emoji] my cat loves to do this. Of course, he's so long that it's both knees, and both legs hanging over.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was petite and would curl up so I could still read. Blush.
Oh, stewb all, that's funny. Robin stretches n purrs, then slides off my lap like a slinky toy, at which point my bare legs are fair game for nips and rabbit kicks. [emoji]128576[/emoji]

Last edited:

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

68? is that a typo?
No, you read it correctly.  "They NEED me", she would say, whenever we tried to reason with her.  She was mentally ill.  Think of the Hoarder TV shows on cable TV.  Unfortunately, it was cats that she hoarded.  And the neighbors didn't help by finding strays and throwing them over her fence.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I guess so.  The most I have had at any one time has been 6.

Now Mother-in-law had 68.  This was not well, and infuriating to us to have to deal with it.
Wow. Do you have to help her with all of those kitties or does someone live with her who does? That's a lot of work. She must really love cats. I couldn't imagine having that many. 3 is my max in my current situation. 

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Wow. Do you have to help her with all of those kitties or does someone live with her who does? That's a lot of work. She must really love cats. I couldn't imagine having that many. 3 is my max in my current situation. 
No, she passed in March 1999.  We were left to clean up the mess.  As I said, she was mentally ill.  And she only got about $750 a month in SS, which she spent mostly on the cats.  Ma used to be a very clean person, but when her gigolo husband left her after she got too old, she let herself go.  Said gigolo was three years younger than my husband's brother, who was three years younger than my husband.  It didn't help that she lived more than an hour's drive away from us.  We tried to move her into a place closer to us, but she would have none of it.

Most of the cats were wild, and once they stopped being fed, they moved on.  But there were many that were too old or too sick, and we had to have them euthanized.  Several, we were able to find homes for, and I brought home a couple. 

But I will never forgive this woman for laying this task on us.  This was a nasty, distasteful task  she left to us who love animals, and had rescued many to be faced with.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
angelinacat angelinacat

I can quite understand you not forgiving her but she she 'wasn't all there'.
However I don't understand why she wasn't reported to the animal authorities as she should have been. It could have been done anonymously.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@AngelinaCat

I can quite understand you not forgiving her but she she 'wasn't all there'.
However I don't understand why she wasn't reported to the animal authorities as she should have been. It could have been done anonymously.
Ma was living in an area that SHE thought was good, but her neighbors "were the salt of the earth" as in 'hillbillies'.  I don't know how to describe a remote area like this.  We have 'Hoot Owl Ridge', 'Hog Valley' and other communities like that similarly named.  Those communities are very closed, and do not like outsiders.

Yes, we should have reported her, but we didn't, because we had just gotten back on decent terms with her, because she would not communicate with her son or myself for 10 years, because we stayed friends with my husband's FIRST wife after they divorced and we married.

Ma was of the opinion that everyone should hate and despise their ex, because that is the kind of divorce that she (Ma) and my husband's dad had.  Then some years later, she married the gigolo because he found her older age fascinating.  Vanity, oh Vanity.  She ended up supporting HIM.

It was a complicated situation.  And though we tried to get her into several places closer to where we lived, where she could have two or three cats, she wasn't going for it.  It isn't like you can 'Baker Act' a person;  she knew her name, date, address, etc.  The stress of something like the above scenario might have killed her sooner rather than later.  She was in the end stages of COPD--and still kept smoking while hooked up to the oxygen tank.

I should add that we did think of reporting her, but discarded that idea for the above reasons.  As I said before, we tried to get her to move closer to us, so we could help her, and all that--even showed her the spot we wanted to set her up on our land, but she totally nixed the idea.  And rather rudely at that, as I recall.  We were interfering with her life!  I had an aunt that was also that way.  *S*I*G*H*  Been there and done that.

BTW, my husband's ex-wife and I are still good friends, to the point that we call each other 'Sister'.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I share my apartment with my ex. Not bedrooms.
It was an amicable divorce and when he had financial problems I told him to come home.
I suppose it's nice having somebody here..
He saved my life I'm b3014

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2013. And got me to hospital quickly.
Well she's gone now so clear your mind and forget.she existed. You'll only become bitter.

meowzart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love cats, but I have MS, and my hubby is active duty, so we're on a limit of cats. His last deployment, he asked me if anything happened to him, woul I fill the house up with kittens. At the time, we had just lost our 'Baby Boy' a few months prior, so he knew I was a wreck. We still had our girls, but I felt empty, we got him 7 months after our marriage, and we saw him as our 'son.' I can't have kids, so my cats are KITTENS, my babies. I feel more than 3 is too many for me. Someone is gonna feel left out. I'll collect tons of cat stuff, and everyone supports that, but I won't go over 3. To each their own. Be fair to our furry friends though.

kittensoldier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not subscribe to the theory of "cat lady" or "cat man" I grew up in a more country like setting where my closest next door neighbor had over 12 dogs 4 cats tons of random farm type animals and so many bunnies that is was crazy in springtime!
 It was a ranch style home so that had plenty of room for it. But even now that I have lived in many cities traveling like I do I see many who have a plethora of cats, dogs, or be it birds or even fish I just think that is how much love you have to give!
 And if you have the space and can afford to have those animals then more power to you!! Just make sure it is within your cities or even counties law restrictive guide lines.