When do kittens get less klutzy?

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
River's about 10 weeks, and a total klutz. She only lands on her feet about a third of the time. Usually she just falls on her head or does a full flip onto her back. She finally figured out how to climb onto furniture last week.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about anyone else but I've never had a kitten that would fall on its head or its back constant. I have had some misjudge distances and fall but usually landing on their feet. I May have a vet check her out. That sounds a little too klutzy.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that this kitten should get a check-up from a vet.  I too have had kittens misjudge distances and once in a while land on their but. My one year old sometimes rolls himself off my dining room chairs when he is getting his we just go home from work lovings.

I have never seen any of my kittens or cats regularly not land on their feet like that.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That definitely sounds odd.. My kitten has always been a klutz, but she lands on her feet. She misjudges distances, runs into things, and knocks over plants. But she always lands on her feet. Or at least close to it.

clara and basil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 kittens around 11 weeks old I am fostering for a friend, and they fall over all the time when jumping, they almost never land on their feet, they do the same thing as your kitten. My kittens show no signs of being unhealthy. They were outside only cats before I got them and they are now strictly indoor. I wouldn't worry about your kitten to much, but a vet check up can clear it up. I hope your kitten is healthy! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She sees the vet in about a week. She's already seen him twice, though, and he hasn't really had any concerns. She's been wormed and is very active. Her third eyelid is also frequently visible (since the day she was found), so there may be something neurological/developmental, but I'm not going to spend a ton of money getting a neuro workup on a kitten ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would assume that kittens could have neurological differences the same way that human children can. If the vet hasn't been concerned, I'm sure that it isn't something that's a big problem. It will be interesting to see if the kitten gains compensations skills in the same way as a child who is neurologically different. 

Assuming that is what it is and it isn't just a kitten being a bit more klutzy than others.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me like cerebellar hypoplasia is a good possibility.

If so, don't let the name scare you, it means her mom was in contact with panleukopenia during pregnancy and it causes the cerebellum of the brain to not close, which affects their balance, but they live perfectly fine like this and have no clue anything is out of the norm.

Kitten at 10 weeks should be VERY agile and maneuver around excellently.

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, maybe. It'd actually explain a few things, if we aged her solely based on her teeth she would be about a week older when found (3 weeks, 11 now), which means she would have been significantly delayed (and very, very physically small- only 4.5 ounces) when she was found. It's definitely very mild if it is, though. She can get around pretty well on the ground and her gait doesn't look obviously abnormal, it's just the up and down part that she has trouble with.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are definitely varying degrees of CH. Some mild, some extreme. 

As I said before, the best part is, it doesn't get worse, there is no pain in any way, and they have no clue that they are not as perfect as any other cat.  

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We spent some time "practicing" jumping off the futon (about 15" above the ground) when I was playing with her. After a few flips and face plants she started landing on her feet consistently! Then I tried her on the chair (different texture, slightly taller), and she went back to not doing so well.

I'll try to work with her on jumping down, hopefully with some practice she gets better, regardless of what's causing it.