When do I let them out of the bedroom?

bonniec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So 3 days ago we took in 2 four year old Scottish folds. We are keeping them confined to our bedroom. The previous owner warned us one was very shy in nature.

They are both adapting well I think. The shy one has actually been the bravest. They are both eating and drinking (though one only a little here and there, but she's drinking well at least). They are using the litterbox well. They are coming up to us to get petted and they love affection. Neither has gotten brave enough to jump on the bed. And they are still very cautious. Fast movements and odd house noises make them freeze up. They spend most of the time under my bed. But now come out to get affection.

At what point do I let them come out to see the rest of the house? We have a noisy house by nature and I don't want them to regress. But they keep trying to come out when I open the door. Is it better to wait until they are 100% comfortable, or just leave the door open and let them discover it all in their own time?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no other animals in the house?

Make sure all outdoor doors are closed and that there is no liklihood of anyone leaving a door open, ever. Then open your bedroom door and let them venture out when they are ready.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonniec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nope, no other pets. All doors closed. Previous owner told me they were terrified of going outside so won't go near a door. Then again, they like sitting at the sliding glass door in our room.

Guess I'll give it a try then.

Besides, it would be nice to be able to vacuum up all that cat fur in my bedroom lol

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonniec

At what point do I let them come out to see the rest of the house? We have a noisy house by nature and I don't want them to regress. But they keep trying to come out when I open the door. Is it better to wait until they are 100% comfortable, or just leave the door open and let them discover it all in their own time?
When they seem comfortable in their own room, and they start trying to make a dash for it to explore, just leave the door open and they can run back inside if they want.

I still closed off most of my rooms, and let them explore just a little bit at a time, every once in a while opening a new room.

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FWIW, I'm very new at cats. Mine are stray sisters I brought home as 6 wk old kittens. They were lunatics until they had run of the house. Not that they are angels now, but way better than before. They're best when everyone's home. They relax, play, cuddle...etc. Their bloodline was having half of Cleveland's ghetto as a playground! LOL.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave your bedroom door open and let them decide when they are ready to explore.Just make sure they are able to get back in when ever they feel the need to hide out..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always wait until they've used the box well, come to me when I come into the room, are eating well, and allow me to pick him/her up. You can use baby gates to block access to certain areas if you're not ready for them to have full access to the house.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd give them a few more days till they are more comfortable with the room. When they are on the bed and not "freezing" up by noises, then you can let them out to explore slowly.

Maybe supervise them and at night or when you are not there, confine them back in the bed room.