When did this become MY responsibility?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add some words of encouragement. I know how difficult it can be to have enough on your plate and then have one more thing happen. It really sucks that people won't take care of their pets. But if it was ever loved by someone (maybe a child who had no control over how the parents took care of it) that person would be grateful someone is taking care her.
I would hate to think my cat would be alone and no one would lend a helping hand.

I know cats at my local shelters stay in crates for a while before they are adopted. At least she is safe. Cats like to curl up and sleep alot anyway and you let her out while you clean the box which is something.

If time goes by and you need to make a choice about her staying or going I don't think releasing her to the wild is a good idea. Please bring her to a shelter, even if they put her down at least she won't feel hunger, loneliness or pain anymore. It is the humane thing to do.

Poor baby kitty! I hope she finds a loving home soon! Thank you for giving her a fighting chance!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Did you end up taking her to the shelter? I checked our lists here and there is a no kill shelter and a rescue close to you that acccept special needs cats - they have FIV+ cats on their website so may take leukemia+ cats (should they turn out to be positive)

http://members.petfinder.com/~IL158/
http://members.petfinder.org/~IL19/index.html (specifically mentions leukemia cats)
Highland told me I could drop her off but only if I gave them $35. I can think of 100 better ways to spend $35 and all of them involve giving to rescues that I support(and I don't support them for various reasons.)

She has been in the crate isolated from the other cats so she has had no contact with them unless it was through the crate door.

She gets spayed on Tues and goes to her new home that day. It's the guy who lost the orange tabby. He has 2 6 month old kittens(who I'm getting Mon so they can be spayed as well, they too will be contained in a carrier so as not to have contact with the other cats), and I will tell him she needs a complete vet check(and FeLV test) before he even thinks about introducing them, not to mention he is going to have to take it slow with this one, she does not appear to like or even tolerate other cats, but that could just be mine or stress.

She also is now in heat, found that out today. At least she isn't pregnant. This is going to be fun.

Nuts is not neutered yet, he will be the next to go(I have a lack of carriers and money to get everyone done at once. Nuts is going to be a lot more expensive as I am doing pain killers(Half-tail got a painkiller shot after surgery since I knew she wouldn't take oral pain meds post surgery) and pre-surgery blood tests, things I can't afford to get done for everyone else.) I just want her gone at this point, she needs to go to her new home and settle in. Nuts is calling, she is calling, everyone is in an uproar over her being in heat.

Also, these cats came to me already infected, Mama had been alone long enough that she was feral. We couldn't get near her for months. She is prolly the one it started with and as she had babies it just got passed down through the generations. I know 5 of them have it, they are all family 3 of them, Runt, Half-tail, Goldie Jr, as well as Attitude and Nuts are all littermates. They got it from one of the moms(Attitude and another kitten both tested positive at 8 weeks old) who had to get it somewhere which would most likely be Mama. So yes it can show up in colonies because I have living proof from all of the ones I have.

I assume but I could be wrong now that all 4 of mine are out of circulation that the toms were taking it around and that the Siamese(who belonged to the 'wonderful' person who abandoned the calico) is dead that takes out another infected cat(she had 3 litters and none of them survived as far as I know and considering I get cats coming here for food that aren't part of my group I would have seen one or more of them by now, and no one around is the right age to have been born to her.)

It is better to assume everyone is infected than to assume some aren't. I know last year the toms were sharing the love with everyone in the neighborhood so it could have very well been transmitted to everyone then(even though everyone WAS infected then, except for possibly the tom, but he looked like he was on death's door the last time I saw him so I think he was infected by one of the positive cats that he mated with, and yes it was likely mine, I had 3 and there was another from their group that Mickie kept so that was 4, plus the Siamese(who I think it originated with her), who wasn't mine so he was exposed to 5 positive females, I had no clue any of them had leukemia, I still wouldn't know if I hadn't of adopted Attitude.)

This cat FOLLOWED me home. I did not bring her here willingly. She has been isolated in a cage so she has not had any contact I know of with any of my cats. It's not like I just scooped her up and said she was going home with me, she came with me as I walked home. Yes, I used the carrier to get her from next door due to Buddy(who would have killed her, she is not afraid of dogs in the least.) I did not want this cat to begin with. To be honest I was hoping I'd go over and the cat would see me and run off, then I could say I tried and failed and left it at that. I did not want another cat, I already feed too many, but I couldn't turn it away and dump it back where it came from to starve to death, not to mention it would have just came back, she now knew I had food. I could have taken her up the road and dumped her at a cat collector's house(who might be the source of the leukemia to begin with lord knows they have enough freaking cats) or dumped her elsewhere. Unless Runt, or Goldie Jr has mated with her in the past or she has had contact with mine(which is pretty good, she was in their roaming grounds) then she might not be infected. We don't have the issues we had last year, last years Tom is dead(yes we go through Toms rather quickly, the one before him got run over, I think he died due to cold, starvation or leukemia, he looked like he was about to drop dead the last time I saw him.) I don't keep the cats that eat here. Sylvester comes here to eat daily and I don't want him to stay or any of the others that just come here to eat. I am happy with my group of 5-6 depending on where Blue decides he's going to crash and eat. I don't want anymore cats. I can't afford anymore cats. This cat decided to follow me home, I didn't want her to. Like I said I wanted to walk over there have her see me and run, like every other cat in the neighborhood other than mine then i could say I tried and failed and left it at that.

Her being in heat is the exact reason I did not want another female, especially an unspayed one. Nuts is bothering Attitude thinking she's the one in heat(Attitude and every other female in my colony is spayed.) I didn't want or need another cat to spay, I wanted to get the boys done instead of paying to get another female done(the new owner is paying for his 2 and this one to get spayed.) Tues can't come soon enough.

Taryn

buehler740

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
God sends them, we save them, and maybe because God thinks we will take care of them, indoor cats should be kept indoors, never outside for anything, ever. It could be that a human was hurting that cat, maybe kicking it then dumped it. opn one had the cat had a human taking care of it, so that one wants a human but is proably scared, he might have been kicked around after being dumped. and it always takes time for cats to get used to other cats

Originally Posted by Taryn

Bobby wanted to walk through the woods so we got near a house that had been foreclosed, and I hear meowing. I tell Bobby to stay back and walk over and see a cat at the door to the house next door(which as been empty for god knows how long.) I call it and crouch down and it walks right over and wants attention and lots of it. It let me pick it up but didn't want me to carry it for long, I got scratched by a back claw accidentally(the cat didn't mean to I could tell.) Well we start walking off and it follows, but it starts starting to attack our feet(seriously claws and teeth, it meant business) and hissing. Bobby starts getting scared so I told him I'd walk in front since he was afraid since the cat was going for his feet too. It's following us then stops and hisses claws out and tries to bite me through my birks. I'm now worried the cat is sick and it has accidentally scratched me so now I have a sick cat that might have got me sick. So I crouch down and try to pet it and it immediately becomes super sweet cat again, loving on me and purring. It's afraid of feet so most likely someone has been kicking it. We start walking back to Paul's and a dog starts barking. Mitzi has her handyman building her a new shed and I forgot he brings his dog and tethers it up front. Cat stops obviously so I go home(to Paul's) with Bobby and grab the carrier, tell Bobby to stay there and play and then walk right up back the road to see if I can get the cat. It let me scruff it and hissed a little when I pushed it's back end in and once in the carrier, it didn't care. I go to Mickey's to see if she knows where it came form and she had seen it when she was down there and it went for her feet too.

It hates other cats, it's been hissing at mine from it's carrier since I got it back. I put a full bowl of food in the carrier and told it it prolly hadn't had some of this in a while. The cat scarfed it down and has ate almost the entire bowl, this is around a 2 cup bowl. I gave it water.

I don't know what to do with it. I know where it belongs due to where it was and the fact that it hates other cats(like her other one the Siamese.)

The worst part it is calico and FEMALE. I just got the last of my girls Half-tail done I don't want or need anymore **** female cats. When in the hell did it become my freaking responsibility to take care of every cat people no longer want. Mickey(our other neighbor) feeds them too, Blue has been staying with her mostly.

I know it's hers because she only takes female cats and then doesn't take care of them so they left this one behind.

I get one done and another appears, I give up.

I'll release it after I show it to Mitzi and it can go do whatever it is it wants to do. If it stays mean to my cats they'll chase it off like they did the Siamese. I'm also keeping it in the carrier so that they try to acclimate to each other(well get her acclimated in hopes she calms down.) This isn't fair to me and it sure as heck isn't fair to the CAT most of all.

Taryn