when and how to know, the ultimate decision

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have my sympathies. It's a very difficult decision - one I've had to make too and never easy. When our old cat George was ill, after several weeks of 'treatment' at the vet we used then (not any more - we have a better vet now), one day I looked into George's eyes and there was something different. It is a look I've seen in both animals and humans when they're about to pass to the other side. It's almost as if the light of life goes out. The eyes lose their sparkle and go dull with a faraway look, it's as if they're seeing but not seeing. It is something you'll recognise straight away - and never forget. It's something that's extremely difficult to describe. This is why when my 16 year old cat Lucy was very ill just before Christmas and nearly died, I knew I had to give her every chance - there was still fire in her eyes. Fortunately, with good vet care and lots of TLC Lucy made a full recovery.

My heart goes out to you at this very difficult time.

mustanganna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, this is a hard time for you! Like so many others here, we had to put down our Bugsey Malone just before Christmas. We tried really hard to make life comfortable for him-but he had heart disease and it was obvious he was miserable. But we just didn't have the heart to haul him down to the clinic and put him through additional stress there. Our vet offered a great alternative-she came to us and administered the medicine while he was purring out on the sun deck. It meant a lot to us that he went to kitty heaven as a happy, content cat. If that is something you vet does then I really encourage you to take that offer.

My thoughts are with you. Spoil your cat rotten!