when a cat pulls out a nail

joang71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one morning last week my two cats were doing their early morning chasing each other routine when I saw blood on the floor.  I determined which cat was bleeding; it was from  what appeared to be a nail pulled out. I rinsed out the area and the bleeding stopped. My question is this: the paw is not swollen

and there is no discharge or sign of infection; she is licking the area periodically; is there anything else to do? thanks much. 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your veterinarian for an expert opinion.  They may want to prescribe something to prevent infection, or they may say that as long as it isn't bleeding or swelling then leave it alone and watch it.  Not really sure what to tell you, except that I would definitely get on the phone to my vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joang71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you Orange and White for your response, I called my vet and have an appt for Friday morning. Will follow up after the visit. Joan

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they didn't tell you to come in right away, it doesn't sound like the vet is too concerned.  No problems with bleeding or swelling overnight?

If she stops licking it today or tomorrow, I might call back and ask if they think the office visit is necessary and what they plan to do for her?

If her claw broke into the quick, it would bleed a bit.  The claw will grow back.  If she actually managed to snap the claw completely at the joint (which would be really hard to do) it won't grow back.  I'm not sure what your vet can do, unless he wants to prescribe antibiotics or pain medicine.

Will she let you press on her toe and take a look?

I'll look forward to the update. 

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the animal hospital I used in Arizona had a huge practice of vets so it was always easy to get in same day or next day. My bub pulled his nail out somehow and it was a naked red angry nub. He got a shot of Covenia to prevent infection, but there wasn't really any care to it and after a few weeks it was pink and starting to get a sheath back on it.