Wheezy 5 month old kitten

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten became wheezy yesterday and seems to be getting worse. He is now breathing through his mouth and kind of sounds like when a person has mucus in the throat. WHAT CAN I DO?!? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is an outdoor cat grey and white. long hair.  There is a bit of black dried snot below each nostril.  
. Soonest time able to bring to a vet is in 4 days. ( Thursday) HE has been sleeping in our cat house ( old shed ) and is an outdoor cat.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how his appetite? did you check for a fever? did he have his vaccinations?  i am leaning toward an Upper respiratory infection 

Last edited:

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasn't seemed to eat much, he lives with his 9 other siblings. We haven't ever really given our cats vaccinations. I will check his temp and reply in a bit.  

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His temp. is 99.6 Fahrenheit  . also, it is a she. I always thought it was a boy. 

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have given her some food and she refuses to eat it. I have moved her to my garage.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just going to warn you i am not knowledgeable but i will try to help you until someone with more knowledge comes along, her temp is normal, if she refuses to eat for more 24 hours i suggest you bring her to a vet, does she seem Lethargy, is there crust around her eyes?

Last edited:

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is very active, there is no crust around her eyes.  She refuses to eat moist food and dry, and also refuses to drink any fluids.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 if it URI i suggest you keep a eye on the siblings too as it contagious, again i am not knowledgeable so take everything i say with grain of salt if she don't drink or eat for more then 24 hours you might want to contact a vet or take her in, it can become life threatening, any reason why you have to wait 4 days to take her in?

Last edited:

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I took her temp She scratched me twice on my hand, then i sat her back inside the kennel with the door open. she went straight to the back of the kennel and laid down. Like i said, we have her away from all the other kittens. 

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the others seem healthy.  It might be wheezy because of the weather.  IT"S FREEZING OUTSIDE! 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there obviously something going on with her, any reasons why you have to wait 4 days to take her to a vet? how cold is it? 

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Monday: school and piano till 6. vet closes 5: 30

Tuesday: school,  stright to vet clinic with no way to get the cat in.  ( Im a volunteer there) 

Wednesday: school, church till 8

Thursday: FREE!!!!!!! 

we are thinking about dropping her off early tomorrow if possible.

Closed today :p

Big wind chill. can't even hold the cat houses's door open without it swinging open and ramming into the chicken coop. better wear a large jacket.

Tardy bell rings at 7: 30

Vet opens at 7:30

Im not sure if it matters but her breath smells horrible!!!!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you should take her in early tomorrow if possible, hopefully someone with more knowledge comes along, as i am not being a huge help

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welp, thanks for the help anyway. I better get back to the kitten. If i see any changes I will post. 

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been in the same position for the last hour or so. she laid sown in the back of her kennel and has propped her head up on a lump in the blanket we have put inside the kennel for her. She has not closed her eyes that i have noticed ( besides blinking)

pumpkinandrocky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm sorry that your kitten isn't feeling good. If it is possible to bring her in. Try to give her a steam bath by taking her into the bathroom and running hot water throw the shower. It will help with the drainage and help her breathing as well. It will also loosen up the crust around her nose. Then you can take a warm wash cloth to wipe her little noise gently as it is going to be sore. I hope this helped.

sisco1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would but pa said and I quote " NO CATS INSIDE THE HOUSE OR YOUR GROUNDED!"  we have a humidifier. would that work?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes a humidifier will help my parents are the same way, also what more important you being grounded or the kittens? 

Last edited: