Wheezing Diarrhea After Sedation

Brial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 4 year old male persian cat. Once a year i take him to his vet to get a lion cut shave and has not had issues in the past except feeling tired/stressed the next day. The tech said I had to give him 100 mg capsule of gabapentin at 7 am. His appointment was for 9 am but they only sedated him at 2 pm and shaved his hair. I picked him up at 3:30. As soon as he was home I knew something was off as when he bent his neck down and opened his mouth to eat his usual dry food he made a wheezing/gasping sound also when he was purring made an odd sound. He has now meowed so I dont know if his meowing sounds different. Today he had liquid explosive diarrhea at 2:20 pm and it was odd because he ran into the litter pan which he never does. Now his butt has poop around it and Im afraid it will get raw if the diarrhea continues. I am upset with the vet and do not trust them at all. My questions are: can gabapentin and sedation cause diarrhea? What could have caused the wheezing? How can I help his sore bum can I wash it? Should I withold food so the diarrhea isnt worst?

He was perfectly fine the morning of I took him in no issues at all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I withold food so the diarrhea isnt worst?
I woudn't suggest doing this - he needs the hydration and nutrients even more.

You could try washing his bum, there might be something in this article that helps with that. Some people suggest wipes - if you can ensure you get ones with the least/no chemical additives.

How To Safely Bathe A Cat: The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Do you have another vet you can speak with? The timing of what you're describing is confusing to me - are you saying you brought him home with poop on him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woudn't suggest doing this - he needs the hydration and nutrients even more.

You could try washing his bum, there might be something in this article that helps with that. Some people suggest wipes - if you can ensure you get ones with the least/no chemical additives.

How To Safely Bathe A Cat: The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Do you have another vet you can speak with? The timing of what you're describing is confusing to me - are you saying you brought him home with poop on him?
Thank you I will take a look! Oh okay sounds good thanks! I guess I can go to another vet but they wouldnt have any of his past history documents/vaccines. Oh sorry I meant my cat was perfectly healthy normal yesterday no issues. Then when he came back home from the vet for his shave which he was sedated for. He has been having explosive diarrhea since he came home.

Brial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You or the new vet can request for the history documents to be sent over.
Instead of them sending the history documents to the new vet could they send it to me? And i would send to the new vet?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They could send/email the documents to you and you could take the documents with you or send them to the new vet. I've changed vets a couple of times over the years, and in addition I finally just decided to request a copy of Poppycat's information every time so I can have it to refer back to.

Brial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They could send/email the documents to you and you could take the documents with you or send them to the new vet. I've changed vets a couple of times over the years, and in addition I finally just decided to request a copy of Poppycat's information every time so I can have it to refer back to.
Thank you I didnt know I could do that and will being do that. Just an update it seems the diarrhea must have been from the sedation/stress. He had a normal stool today, no wheezing and running around like his usual adorable self! Im so relieved.