Wheezing Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, another stray showed up. (I recently realized a few blocks away there's an apartment complex that allows pets... and I think when people move out, they just leave their pets :bawling2:.)
He's young, most likely an un-neutered male, who has a TERRIBLE upper respiratory infection. He practically has to keep his mouth open to breathe, and even then, it sounds horrid. Green nasal discharge. Clear eyes, though, and his poop is normal. He is extremely thin and frail. But he is very friendly, and really wants attention.

Here's the thing.

I cannot take him. We have 5 cats (and 3 kids) as it is, and we are scrambling to survive as it is (It's been a rough few years!!!).

I spent the last 24 hours calling literally ever possible place within two hours of us. Every single place was full and unwilling to take a sick cat. I called at least 25 different places and people. All full (or unwilling to take a sick cat... which I do understand).

He's currently in a very large dog cage in the garage... but he hates it in there. Digging everywhere, dumping everything over, trying to escape. There's no way he could ever be an indoor only cat.

I even tried finding a farm/barn to take him... but no one wants a sick cat.

It's down to our local animal resource center... basically animal control. I know they will put him down.

It's tearing me up. I hate it. I just don't know what else to do.
I can't leave him out there, being a germ risk to other animals (and our cats- especially since he's claimed our yard as the place he wants to be).
I cannot afford a vet bill. We have a small amount of money set aside for our current cat who's having urinary troubles (he needs special foods now).

Is there *anything* I'm missing on what I could do?! I'm so upset. I love all cats and I cannot stand the thought of sending him to be put down... This is awful.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a neighbor or friend that could help you? He not only needs vet care, but he desperately needs to be neutered. If you could find the funds to get him some antibiotics and then get him neutered, he could return to your yard. Maybe you could feed him and give him a shelter.
Is there a low cost vet in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only neighbor that could help just took a different sick stray in (and she already has several other animals as well). The rest of them just call animal control on any loose cats :(

We are not in a good area for stray cats. Not a giant city, but a busy suburb. Our house is only two away from a pretty busy main road.

There is one place near by that could do it for less, but it's still expensive. We literally cannot afford it (otherwise we don't eat for a week). I have been wracking my brain constantly trying to figure something out.

This is awful.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he still eating? If so, you could put Fish Mox in his food. Fish Mox is Amoxicillin which can be purchased without a prescription because it is made for aquarium fish, but is the same antibiotic that is used for people and pets. If you PM me your address, I will put some in the mail for you with the needed information. Can you put him in a room of his own while he is recovering? Or put him in the garage without being in a crate? Most cats hate being caged or crated. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be happy as someone's pet inside their house. An upper respiratory infection can improve within a few days with antibiotics. Your other option would be to call your regular vet and tell them that one of your cats has a URI and needs a prescription. Usually if they have seen one of your cats within the past year, they will prescribe an antibiotic without requiring you to bring the cat in. You can make a warm chicken broth for him to drink, with l a chicken breast in a small pot of water without seasoning.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he still eating? If so, you could put Fish Mox in his food. Fish Mox is Amoxicillin which can be purchased without a prescription because it is made for aquarium fish, but is the same antibiotic that is used for people and pets. If you PM me your address, I will put some in the mail for you with the needed information. Can you put him in a room of his own while he is recovering? Or put him in the garage without being in a crate? Most cats hate being caged or crated. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be happy as someone's pet inside their house. An upper respiratory infection can improve within a few days with antibiotics. Your other option would be to call your regular vet and tell them that one of your cats has a URI and needs a prescription. Usually if they have seen one of your cats within the past year, they will prescribe an antibiotic without requiring you to bring the cat in. You can make a warm chicken broth for him to drink, with l a chicken breast in a small pot of water without seasoning.
I agree. Try the fish mox if a vet visit is out of the question.
If he was neutered and treated, a farm might be happy to take a neutered healthy cat as a mouser.
I have a wonderful house cat that is as happy as a pig in (you know what) but crated he turns into a space case, flinging, clawing, flipping, etc. Confinement is confinement, but sometimes close quarters = claustrophobia and most cats are excellent when it comes to the preferred "Flight" to fight, and if flight is gone they panic.
Thank you for at least caring about him, LeiLana80 LeiLana80 =)

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is hope! A lovely friend of mine happened to hear what was going on and took pity on the kitty- she's going to cover the cost of care! I'll be taking him in tomorrow!! I'm so thankful and so relieved!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is hope! A lovely friend of mine happened to hear what was going on and took pity on the kitty- she's going to cover the cost of care! I'll be taking him in tomorrow!! I'm so thankful and so relieved!
That is most excellent news!!!!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's actually going in today! (yesterday was booked)
I have to keep him around until the time comes, so my plan is to feed him a small amount of food every half hour, to keep him hanging out in my yard. It's extra hot today, so I hope he sticks around. I will absolutely update after the appointment!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I had better news... but the kitty had to be put down. He was horribly sick. The vet said we could try and fight it, but the odds were that he'd need to stay and have special (expensive) treatments and even then, he probably wouldn't make it over the next few days.
It was awful. I never have had to make a decision like that before. :(

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very deeply sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking care of him, loving him, and giving him a peaceful passing. You made the right decision, and you saved him pain and suffering. Our hearts go out to you.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very sorry. Yet you did the kindest thing to end his life so he didn't have to suffer. Thank you for caring so much and doing the very best for this kitty. You are in my thoughts.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
LeiLana80 LeiLana80 , the team at TCS are so very sorry for your loss. You did all you could for this little guy. :hugs:

Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum.

.....................................................RIP
little one
....................................................:rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.