Wheat gluten & RPC actually wheat flour?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

Exactly...now, I am not at all a scientist or work with the FDA, so I do not know about the process involved to test this stuff...but if they were really doing very deep testing, of probably hundreds of cans of food and ingredients...wouldn't one test, or even person, have caught that it wasn't what they thought? Not one? Until now?
I just find it a little hard to fathom.
Seriously! It seems pretty ridiculous to me. I thought about that, and I find it interesting that the labs that have been testing the "wheat gluten" and "rice protein concentrate" for contaminates AFTER both recalls were announced didn't figure it out sooner. Maybe there's a logical reason for it, but I don't even care anymore. There have been too many, "Oops, what we said before was wrong. THIS is what's REALLY going on. Oops, wait a minute. That thing we told you after the other thing we told you was wrong too. THIS is right. Oops, never mind. Almost everything that you've learned about the contaminated food is either wrong or inaccurate. Yes, we still expect you to believe us because your pets' health is of the utmost importance to us." Yeah, ok.

I'm really not TRYING to be jaded, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the #1 priority of the vast majority of companies that sell anything for profit (whether it be pet food, human food, cars, clothes, media, pharmaceuticals, etc.) has nothing to do with your health, your pets' health, or anyone's general well-being. It's money. For the most part, it goes without saying. I can deal with that because obviously, for-profit businesses need to make a profit. However, focusing on pet food, I'd really appreciate if pet food companies would quit trying to CONVINCE us that their food is "guaranteed to be safe," especially when the only "guarantee" they can give is that their food hasn't been recalled YET. After the initial recall was announced, how many different companies stressed to the public that their food was safe only to have it recalled?

Basically, I'm tired of being lied to.
I'm rambling now and may not even be making sense, but I need to vent. This whole ordeal has forced me to look more deeply into a lot of things, some related and some not, and it's exhausting. Plus, my cat has been sick (not related to pet food), which is my main priority right now. I worry about her all the time, and I have no idea WHAT to feed her. She decided that she wants to eat Hill's prescription food, and even though that would certainly NOT be my first choice, she's eaten it consistently for 2 weeks. When I was searching for more healthy, natural food, I was lucky if I could get her to eat even the same BRAND more than once or twice. It makes me anxious to feed it to her, but then again, it makes me anxious to feed her ANYTHING. At this point, I don't trust any pet food company more than any other one.

Oh yeah, one last thing: You know how several pet food companies have been proudly advertising that their food doesn't contain wheat gluten or rice? Pretty ironic to find out that the contaminated food didn't contain those ingredients either....... Ahhhh....