What's your phobia???

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are afraid of the dark...others of strange sounds that 'go bump in the night'. Are these fears normal or products of our imaginations?? Society knows children fear the dark...does this mean children actually do, or does this fear get passed from generation to generation. Lets conduct a scientific test. Answer these four questions in order. Please answer the poll too. Lets have fun with this thread...maybe we can help others with our fears knowing we are not alone.
(1) What is your fear??
(2)Do your parents (or other family members) have it too?
(3)Have you always had it???
(4)what caused it??

(1)My fear is anything that can sting. You know: wasps, bees, hornets, yellow jackets...*shudder* I am so scared I try to stay indoors and only come out around dusk. I have to feed my kitties though..so they get a kick out of watching mother scream and run at every buzzing sound or object (yes sometimes it's just a butterfly
)that flys by. People have thought my scream and run method is crazy...I admit I probably look insane (or stupid), but hey..it's kept me from getting stung 11 years.(2)My mother has the same fear.(3) Since I was younger...but maily when I was 8. (4)I had a bumble bee stuck in my hair. Got stung on head. Kept hair reaaaaly short untill a few years ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you're a cat
Or maybe Zoey's starting to rub off on you!
Actually....I know alot of people that are just terrified of dogs. I dont even like them too much...I have a scar on my thumb from my mother's toy poodle.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snakes. I can't go into the snake houses at zoos. Even though I know that the snakes are safely behind glass, I exhibit symptoms of a panic attack.

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
snakes I can not even watch them on TV!
my mom is the same way.
always beeen afarid of them.
I think I got it from my mom!
Cindy I am the same way!

junebug6771

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I would jump out of a moving vehicle to avoid being stung by a bee, wasp, or hornet, I have come near it before.

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I voted for worms/other insects because I am scared to death of maggots and earwigs... and then I also voted other because I have a fear of excessive heights... and of getting dental work done!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fear of closed in spaces or being trapped. I'm ok if it is just for a minute and I feel in control. But close me in a unfamiliar, tiny space without windows and I can't breathe.

This is wierd but I also panic if I have to have an eye exam. I get sick. When I was small (around 6) I had a drunk eye doctor. I could smell alcohol on him. He would yell at me and belittle me because he felt I was saying I couldn't see things and really could. He was very rough with me. LIttle did he, or my parents know at the time, but I was 90% deaf in one ear and 60% in the other. I wasn't hearing commands clearly enough. But I sure heard him yell at me upclose in my face and could see the looks of rage on his face! BTW my mother didn't know he did that to me. She wasn't allowed in the exam room when I was being tested.

Tammie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by catsplay.com
I have a severe fear of flying -- I expected that to be a choice on the list!
Sorry guys....I know I left out a few on the poll..Only problem is I cant edit the poll. I tried. Only moderators can. Oh well...something I learnt for next time.

rock&fluff'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very Claustraphobic, and I freak if I am in a small space and feel like I don't have enough oxygen to breathe.I have always been like this too...

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heights. I am fine going up, but coming down from heights is right out.

Centipedes and other bugs with too many legs. I'm itching just thinking about them.

sandra

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) What is your fear??
(4)what caused it??

1) I am mostly afraid of being stung... By bees and wasps etc. etc. And also I am afraid of heights and my new phobia is I am now afraid of large crowds

2). No dont think so... Only me.

3). I have always had the sting phobia because of being stung by a bee when I was a kid. The height phobia too..... The crowd phobia is recent though.

4). See above answer

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1) Flying
2) Mom and brother. Dad loves to fly.
3) I've always been nervous about it, but really dislike it now.
4) I was on a plane that had mechanical problems at liftoff. We had to return to the gate. Although nothing happened, it was really scary to get going and then have to turn right back around.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm...Here's a few of mine:
1. Defintely Heights
2. Scarey looking people
3. Hurricanes
4. Dark Alleys
5. Flying
6. Driving in the rain on highways
7. Sharks

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am deathly scared of Spiders! Even if it's the tiniest little one, I freak out! I tend to hold my breath, my face turns bright red from lack of oxygen and I run away from it. My Boss just laughs at me! Everyone at work thinks it's funny, but I sure don't at that moment!
Last week, there was a HUGE spider crawling up the wall and I did my routine...I ran at least 30 feet away! I didn't even have to say that it was there, Brandon just knew by my actions. He came over to me and said "ok, where's it at?" with a tissue in hand. After he killed it, he made fun of me because I was so far away from it! I told him that I didn't want to take the chance of it getting loose and running at me. He thinks I'm a crazy woman...but I just can't help it!

I'm also scared of heights. I can not get on a rollercoaster, a ferris wheel or even a ladder with more than 3 steps. The weird thing is that I like to fly. At first, I was really scared but now it doesn't bother me at all. I'm more scared of it crashing out of the sky than the actually flying part.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, looks like I'm the real freak here. I don't have irrational fears, swear to god. I don't LIKE worms, but I'm not scared of them they just gross me out. I'm not scared of certainly animals or critters, although every nightmare that I've ever had involves a dog and generally one of my family's dogs (I love dogs, so I don't know where in the heck that comes from!). I love flying and roller coasters and heights. Movies can make me jump but don't scare me after they are over. I'm really not even scared of death.

So yes, I fully admit it. I'm a freak.

dougbug

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i have several fears but the most has to be fire, i am so afraid that my house will catch fire, i am always checking plugs and light sockets and ect. for getting hot, i guess i cant help it

22angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(1) What is your fear??

OOOOOhhhhhhhhh I have lots! lol

Where to begin!

I am scared of insects...I don't know why, but I am. Wasps/bees/hornets etc....too much! I'm not the only I know that runs away from them! A few of my friends, plus my brother-in-law always runs the other way.

Snakes: definetly! Not scared of them when I am walking or whatever, but when I'm driving, I can't run over them, even if they're dead, b/c I saw the movie Tremors like twice, and so now I have this irrational fear that if I run over them, they are going to suddently grow huge, and attack me and my car and eat me
....odd little person I am, eh???

I am also scared of heights for some unknown reason.

Nope just me....not even my brother or sister are like me! lol

Hmmmm......as long as I can remember, relaly. Well the tremors thing never really bothered me until I started driving by myself and we lived in the country. There were tons of snakes around (just little garter snakes though)

The bees and wasps, since I was about 6, I think. I was sitting on the step eating watermelon, and a bee lands on my knee. My mom told me to sit still and it would go away. Wrong!! It stung me, and I got really red, and swelled up (my knee), and ever since then I run away. I have also gotten stung on my head, and my shoulders. I get all swelled up, and puffy, so it's not fun!

(4)what caused it??

all of the above! lol

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing, What are yellow jackets?

Second. I'm totally clauserophobic(sp?), Scared to death of heighs, fearful of drowing ,[ never go swimming and have shallow baths]. I also hate Planes & Boats, but If I wanna keep chuggin on to cat shows I have to take this risk!

Sam.