What's Your Philosophy On Feeding Cats?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

If it were up to my mom, Tabby and Abby's diets would consist of Friskies and butter pats.
Yes, she feeds them butter pats. Good thing she can't go shopping herself.
i better not tell stimpy that...he'll want to move in. he LOVES butter.

my cats get 3 wet food meals, 6oz split 3 ways in the morning & afternoon. then a 3oz can split in the evening (around 7pm). for dry i have 3 bowls, i put 1/8 cup in each 2x a day and they can graze on that. stimpy eats more dry than my other 2, so it works well.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think wet is better than dry. but stimpy begs to differ. we've come to an agreement.
raven and nabu get most of their diet from wet, but stimpy is more like 50/50. any wet food stimpy doesn't eat, does get eaten.

i don't switch around brands a lot anymore. the guys have a set few brands they like, and i stick with those--but get them different flavors when they seem bored. luckily the brands they like have a lot of choices.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fosterkitty, thank you, I'll read your post to my mom and maybe that will reinforce my point.

Dragoriana, bless ol' Chuckie's heart, he's taken on Jasmine's ritual, hasn't he? He must miss her too.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed each litter seperatly. Butch and Sundance share a big bowl together. I mix 1 5 1/2 oz. can of wet with half a cup of food 3 times a day. They are fed in their kennel. Calamity (there mom) gets the same but only twice a day. She is fed in the bathroom. Skye's litter is fed 1 5 1/2 oz can of food mixed with 1 cup of food 3 times a day if they eat all of that then I put in just dry for them to munch on between meals. They are fed in their kennel. Skye is free fed dry food and gets 2 5 1/2 oz cans of food a day.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are fed 2x a day and get wildside salmon or uri-ease treats on occassion between meals. My cats can not be allowed to free feed as they are not self regulators and will literally eat themselves silly! Jasmine was very obease when we adopted her (the result of dry food) but at her last vet visit she had lost over 1.5lbs
(only 2 more to go
we are trying to slowly loose a healthy amount of weight to avoid health problems
) Mine eat only soft food. I was home cooking for them recently with all of the pet food recalls- but none of them cared for it no matter how many recipes i tried- so i started feeding a safe soft food for them and so far so good

Kojak and Velvet eat side by side in the living room on a old desk (just for now until we redo the living room). Isabella eats in the guest bedroom on top of a piece of furniture there and so does Jasmine (but for now jasmine is eating in her cage as she is sick). Their food is elevated so the dogs won't steal it- but we have also trained our dogs not to go into the guest bedroom even if the door is open so they won't mess with their food.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have 2 cats but I feed specific meal times and never free feed. The trouble with free feeding is that if you have more than one cat you inevitably end up with one needing different food to the others for one reason or another, so I think it's easier to get them used to set meal times from the start. I put the food down and they eat it straight away. Then the bowls get picked up and washed up and that's it until the next meal time. I feed wet food so wouldn't want to leave that down for too long anyway.