What's your oldest household appliance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I just realized that I didn't count my hand mixer, although I use it all the time. We got it as a wedding present back in 1980. My mom is still using the crock pot I bought when I was 16 (in 1973
), and a percolator my husband bought in 1980. My sister, who sews a lot, still has my grandmother's Singer, which must have been bought around 1961, making it as old as she is.
I swear some of the appliances have a built-in self-destruct mechanism, as we lost a washer, dryer, range and dishwasher within a three-week period in 2001. The range and dishwasher were 19 years old, though, and bought at the same time.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be our stove - we bought it in 1983. Next is the microwave, a 1989 Christmas gift. They both need to be replaced. Anybody want to buy us new ones?

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My philosophy of "if it still works, keep it" has meant some things have lasted a good few years. Our microwave was bought for us in 1983, and fingers crossed it's still OK, my electric whisk was a wedding present in 1974, it's not used as much as it was when the kids were small, but it's there when I need it.

The oldest thing isn't electrical, it's a 1930's fruit juicer from the USA, where you put half an orange for eg. in the top and turn the handle to squash the top down. You can still get similar designs in shiny silvery metal now, mine has peeling paint on the outside, but works just fine.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I just have to enter into this. I married my first husband in 1966 and we received a hand mixer. I looked for new beaters for it 2 yrs. ago and couldn't find any. The mixer was fine. My husband tried to "expand" the holes to try to fit new beaters in it and ruined it. Up until then it was working just fine - 37 years.

lilysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ours are all pretty new, since we bought a brand new house and had an appliance allowance. Probably the oldest is my sewing machine, which I got for Christmas in 1995 probably. Not very old!

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow!! That would be my hot water heater. It's orignial to our home which was built in 1980. After that, would be our fridge & dryer - they're 7 years old.

As for vac. cleaners.......I average 1 about every 18 months!