What's Your Experience Living With And Felv+ Kitty

PoppyCA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm considering adopting an FELV+ kitty. I've done my due diligence and have tried to educate myself about the disease and am aware of the financial commitment. Since so many of these kitties are immediately euthanized after testing positive there is not a lot of long term study information available. I would really like to hear some real life stories from anyone who has lived with and cared for an FELV+ cat. I know every cat is different, but your experiences would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mainly I'm bumping this thread up for you. We do have several members who have or who have had cats with FeLV, so hoping one or more will see your thread. I think it's great that you are considering adopting a "special needs" kitty. What's his story...age, sex, etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyCA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mainly I'm bumping this thread up for you. We do have several members who have or who have had cats with FeLV, so hoping one or more will see your thread. I think it's great that you are considering adopting a "special needs" kitty. What's his story...age, sex, etc?
Thanks for doing that. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect from someone who has been there. There is so much conflicting info online.

The kitty I'm considering is currently at a really great rescue. He's a big (14lb) beautiful brown tabby. They estimate his age to be 3 yrs., but after speaking to the vet she admitted that really is nearly impossible to do. He has had two ELISA tests, both positive - but I'm not sure if they were done with whole blood or serum, which apparently can make a difference. He has not had the IFA test which seems to always be recommended if the ELISA is positive.

It really is a shame that there is so little long term data available because these kitties are so often immediately euthanized. I ran across information on a rescue in TX that has 25 FELV+ cats. For some reason they retested them for FELV and 10 of the 25 came back negative. These cats, who were all housed together for 2-7 years, had actually shed the virus. The only treatment give was a good diet I think there is so much more to learn.

Thanks again for asking!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyCA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise